Author Topic: Friedrich's Quest  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Friedrich's Quest
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 03:28:32 AM »
It may be related to the installation of Windows that DC is installed in (I can try displaying Japanese in my (Japanese) Windows XP - let's see if it works...).  Perhaps it works like fonts, i.e., you have to have the font for it to show...
I admit I have not yet tested for regular fonts. Maybe I simply concluded that Umlaute do not work since they weren't displayed in the font I used...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
I think there are two answers to your question, Ben. Yes and no. Yes, you can look up the terms in Wikipedia and find out about the real-world counterparts, bit Dynonikos hasn't released a lot of specific info yet, as he doesn't want to give away too much about Helmetlands before he released it (or at least is close to releasing it).

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
I think it's cool to have a date display in DC that shows how many days of game time have passed.

But it also exposes the fundamental flaw of the D&D resting system. The entirety of the short adventure in the castle took me over 100 days!  ;D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »
I think it's cool to have a date display in DC that shows how many days of game time have passed.

But it also exposes the fundamental flaw of the D&D resting system. The entirety of the short adventure in the castle took me over 100 days!  ;D

But the wonder of DC and Logic Block event is that we can have events, quests, etc be for a specific day or time (or both). ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
Lego design... I've been thinking about this again, since I bought a new digital camera. :) It would still be easier to do "digital" legos. Maybe we should devote the talk of this to another thread. :)
So, Dinonykos, will there ever be a helmetlands graphic novel? :D

Around twenty years ago, I used to draw comics with the characters you can meet in Friedrich's Quest and Helmetlands. However, the niveau of my art back then was not what it is today, to say the least. :(

Hemetlands will feature a lot of big pics and hundreds of small pics, so it will be somewhat like a graphic novel, I think. (This does not mean that it will become a straight-forward graphic adventure!)
Additionally, since Friedrich's Quest seems to be liked by the people around here (apart from the unfair combats, which I will improve), I think I will do some short comics with the characters and put them to my homepage. I also think about making a comic-strip based introduction for Helmetlands.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
Dinonykos, you can count on me as a reader. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »
I found some time to deal with the combat system in Friedrich's Quest. The combats should be fairer now. Furthermore, Friedrich starts as a Level 2 fighter. I also corrected some mistakes Manikus and others found. There are some additional events, too.
Please do not expect too much, though! I call this the "Silver Edition", and of course, there will be a "Gold Edition" later, hopefully with voice acting and a further improved combat system.

I have not found the time to test every combat - it may be that there are some minor bugs, although I do not think so.

The new version can be found here:

http://one.xthost.info/Dinonykos/Friedrich_s_Quest_SE.zip

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »
Cool!  :D

I also look forward to reading your comics, too!  (Coincidentally, I used to draw comics with my own weird characters, too, back in the day... :D )
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
Nice!  :) I'll give you some feedback after I played this edition.

I also think that the idea with the accompanying comics is great.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »
Friedrich's Quest - Silver Edition...pretty cool ;)

I'll give it a spin and let you know if I find anything.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 04:09:40 AM »
Thank you, guys! I also forgot to thank for the comments to the earlier version.

I am just thinking about doing another short design with the same "VR" background as Friedrich's Quest, but with four party members instead of one, to introduce the "event-based combat" with a bigger party. The end of Friedrich's Quest even suggested such an additional adventure.

I think of the new design as a kind of tutorial. I planned to include something like that into the "Helmetlands"-design, but that would perhaps weaken the beginning of the story. Another short design would be a better approach - increasing the number of available designs for DC. Additionally, I can use you guys as testers for additional combat options.

I think I will call the new short design "Friedrich's Revenge".  ;D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 02:55:47 PM »
I think the new, short design idea would be the way to go, Dinonykos. :) I'll gladly play and give feedback. Plus, it will help me figure out my own event driven combat system, which admittedly I'm not really working on at the moment, but have in mind for a project I haven't started yet. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
For some reasons, the zip-files I uploaded at xthost, i.e., Friedrich'S Revenge SE, are not downloadable although I re-uploaded them...
I'll attempt to find a solution...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
For some reasons, the zip-files I uploaded at xthost, i.e., Friedrich'S Revenge SE, are not downloadable although I re-uploaded them...
I'll attempt to find a solution...

I just checked my XThost page, and I can download the arvhices, but they are in the 7-zip format.
Didn't Uatu mention a little while ago that some file types become unavailable after a set amount of time of inactivity? (Perhaps it was you, Dinonykos.)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
I found that some things that I hotlinked (to discussion boards) sort of disappeared after a while (you could try to see the images (they were PNGs) but if you did, it would only display the file metadata as the data size had become 0).  I think it doesn't matter what file type it is...

I deleted those fugly files and reuploaded them, though, and then it was okay.

(Perhaps from now on it would be better for us to set download pages and then link to those pages instead of directly to files... Maybe they changed their rules, before hotlinking was fine.)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu