Author Topic: Friedrich's Quest  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Friedrich's Quest
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
Ben, if you cannot wait for the revised version (some weeks may pass until I find time for that), in worst case, you may load the design in the editor and simply increase Friedrich the Brave's amount of hitpoints in the Global menu/NPCs submenu. Would be okay with me...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 04:11:21 AM »
Did you equip all of your starting equipment? Are you still on the ground level or did you climb up the battlements / enter the castle? Did you gain enough xp to train or are you still lvl 1? Do you rest after combats?

I equipped all my stuff, I always rest behind the bushes, so I always have full HP before a combat, which still doesn't prevent instant death.
I've been on the battlements (also on the central tower after killing that Dinonykos mutant), and got executed by guards up there many times.
I'm still level 1, though.

Ben, if you cannot wait for the revised version (some weeks may pass until I find time for that), in worst case, you may load the design in the editor and simply increase Friedrich the Brave's amount of hitpoints in the Global menu/NPCs submenu. Would be okay with me...

That would feel like cheating, but if you say that it's okay...  :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 04:14:03 AM »
Here's another question: Why would Friedrich the Brave go into an enemy castle without a weapon? Is his other nickname "Friedrich the Suicidal"?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 06:32:49 AM »
Here's another question: Why would Friedrich the Brave go into an enemy castle without a weapon? Is his other nickname "Friedrich the Suicidal"?
Maybe he considers himself to be a brilliant wrestler? :)
You have a point, but the background story revealed later in the game explains that to some degree...
Instead of using the editor to alter Friedrich the Brave (which may perhaps be spoiling for you since you'd see other NPCs), you may use the savegame file I have attached. He has reached level 2 therein, and killed two guards, three Deinonyki and one Mutant.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:35:01 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
Thanks, Dinonykos!

I'll see how far I can get using this file.  :)

One thing that could be improved about DC (maybe I should start a thread for this): The handling of savegames is still the same as in FRUA. It would be nice if the savegame slots could be individually named, or if the "save" function showed which slots are already in use.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:50:04 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
One thing that could be improved about DC (maybe I should start a thread for this): The handling of savegames is still the same as in FRUA. It would be nice if the savegame slots could be individually named, or if the "save" function showed which slots are already in use.

Thee is a feature request tracker at SourceForge. :D
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=1754&atid=351754
You will need to register if you haven't already. This and the bug tracker are used by the developers to, er, track. Novel idea, but it works. :D

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
Yay, I'm through with the game! :)

I'm going to post a review soon.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 04:02:33 AM »
Yay, I'm through with the game! :)
I'm going to post a review soon.

Congretulations. :) I suspect that once you were inside the manor, it became less frustrating... :)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 04:40:29 AM »
That was indeed the case.  :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 03:59:49 AM »
Okay, since my question in the review section probably went unnoticed, I'll re-post it here:

Is there additional information available on the different races in "Friedrich's Quest" (Martens, Dinoykos, etc.)?

When I started the game, I had no idea what a "Marten" was.  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 05:58:59 AM »
Okay, since my question in the review section probably went unnoticed, I'll re-post it here:
I read your review and am very happy with it. Thank you again for playing and giving numerous helpful remarks. I did simply not find the time yesterday to detailedly reply to your post.

Is there additional information available on the different races in "Friedrich's Quest" (Martens, Dinoykos, etc.)?

Friedrich's is a demo/prequel for the big design (Helmtelands) I am still working on. I think it will still need several months or even a year until that one is finished. Thanks to you and others (e.g. Manikus, Olivier and Uatu), I think I can now continue to work on it (after making some changes to Friedrich's Quest for better playability), since I now know how to improve the combat system and that there is generally interest in a somewhat different story setting. You can find more details here: http://one.xthost.info/Dinonykos/

*SPOILING AHEAD!*
To your questions about the races:
The "martens" are intelligent mammal-like beings living in an alternative world (without intelligent primates). You could rather say that they are "martenoids". They are on quite a high technology level, thus, there are also genetically altered martens ("mutants"), "cyborgs", and "androids". In "Helmetlands", they will be forced to visit a planet inhabitated by intelligent small dragons ("sworks") and cat-like carnivors ("helmetcats", i.e. "helmetlions", "-tigers" and "-panthers"). "Helmetlands" will be not be very straight forward concerning the story, but allow the player to gain fame and increase his/her reputation among the different races. That means, doing favors to one race may result in decreasing reputation among other races. This is one of the reasons why it takes me so long to finish the design... :)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
Thanks for clearing this up.  :)

I like the idea of populating a world with entirely new creations. I tried to do this (a little bit) with "The Sect", but since that game was originally created in 1995, and completely "vanilla", I just didn't have the means to do it, so there were still lots of D&D creatures running around (though they would often be altered in either stats or names, or both). I tried to lessen this problem by giving most of the D&D stock characters their own culture and personalities.
But what I'd really like to do is create a game populated by all of my own fantasy creatures that I invented over the years (like Smuskis, Gramlocks, Huschkis, Kastenköpfe, etc.).
Now with DC I can do that, if I find a way to make believable art for the new creatures, which might be possible with 3D models (since I can't draw jack on a computer).

BTW, one of the supporting characters in "The Sect" is also called "Swork". Funny coincidence. :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
BTW, one of the supporting characters in "The Sect" is also called "Swork". Funny coincidence. :D

Well, they were called "Swörks" earlier, but since DC does not feature Umlaute, and it sounds similar, I changed it to "Sworks". The name "Helmettigers", on the other hand, is of course derived from the jokes about how to catch a helm(et)tiger.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »
ALT-148 doesn't work in DC? I would have thought that you could enter any ASCII characters you want. Are we limited to fewer than 256 characters in DC?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
Hmm, perhaps we need to do some testing :D

It may be related to the installation of Windows that DC is installed in (I can try displaying Japanese in my (Japanese) Windows XP - let's see if it works...).  Perhaps it works like fonts, i.e., you have to have the font for it to show...
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu