Author Topic: Heirs to Skull Crag:Not all Roadwarden Arms Quests Complete Before Kidnap  (Read 3157 times)

gogogomez

Re: Heirs to Skull Crag:Not all Roadwarden Arms Quests Complete Before Kidnap
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »
OK, quest 4 is the kidnapping rescue quest .  This should only fire AFTER the three items have been recovered, but for some reason it fires after only 2.  So what do I need to change so that the transfer event DOES NOT fire after I grab the 2nd item (and it does not matter which item I get, it is firing when I enter the town, which one MUST do to get to the keep). So, since I cannot avoid Quest 4 from firing prematurely, what do I need to change so that it does not?  Have never dealt with event chains, so more specific directions are needed for me to do it.  for now, i will just go ahead and muddle through it, even though it makes no sense...

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
The easiest solution without messing with the game would probably be to create yourself a shortcut in or out of Skullcrag, by which you could avoid the spot where the kidnap check fires.

You just need one Transfer Module event for each way (in and out). Choose an appropriate spot for them, note down dungeon number and coordinates and fill them in. For example, have a look at the part of the event chain that says "If player does not have Quest 4 - Enter town - Dungeon 2" according to ProphetSword and replicate that Transfer Module event at another spot (same destination but without any conditions, fire "always"). Make it a yes/no question like this: "Do you want to use the side entrance to Skullcrag?" and the kidnappers won't get you.  ;)

Was that comprehensible? You think you can do that?

gogogomez

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
Got it.  Sounds doable.  Thanks for help.  Easier than what I was planning, which was finding (or creating) an item that I can pick up to trigger the kidnap event instead of as it is. 

gogogomez

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 07:17:28 AM »
The problem is not only with the overland maps since whenever the 2nd of the 3 quest items are returned, the 3rd item quest is blocked---this happens within the keep and/or city so it is internal to the particular item quest events, thus an issue within those dungeons as well.  Earlier I implied that you could not finish the mod given this issue, perhaps I overstated the matter.  better said, this is not the way the mod SHOULD work.  The PCs should be able to complete all 3 item quests before the Kidnap quest kicks in.  Although the inability to complete all 3 item quests also means that one of the 3 item quests dungeons are also blocked and the party never gets to explore them, again, this is just not the way the Mod should be operating.

Anyway, I am doing the kidnap quest, planning on finishing the mod as currently constructed and will update on the final results. 

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:08 AM »
Can you tell me the specific spots where the player finds each of the three arms?

It sound like there might be an "utilities" event at each of these spots, which checks if two out of three arms are present, and if so, it gives you quest 4.

Maybe the events could be changed to only give you quest 4 when all three arms are present. Of course, this could also screw up the game even more than it already is.  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »
I had a quick look at the game, found Yemandra's room at the keep and the events that check for quest 4. I assume that the other two events work the same way:

If you bring back the lance, an utilities events adds a value of 1 to quest 5.

Quest 5 keeps track of the number of retrieved arms.

There is a "quest stage" chained to the utilities event, which only fires if "stage 3" of quest 5 is reached - this is the event that will give you quest 4.

The way UA is designed, stage 3 in a "quest stage" event only fires if the particular quest has a value of 2.
That means if you have two of the items, quest 5 has a value of 2, thus the "stage 3" event fires and hands you the kidnap quest (4).

This was either meant to work that way, or the UA designers didn't really understand their own product (many mod-designers don't understand how the the "quest stages" events work at first, including me).

I've included a screenshot of the event in question. If you manage to find all three event chains where this particular event occurs, and change the "stage" of quest 5 from 3 to 4, the kidnapping should fire only after all three items have been recovered.

Do this at your own risk, however. I don't know what "side effects" this change might have.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Larris

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »
I just wanted to confirm here once and for all that Ben J's solution does work, and that I have encountered no negative consequences.

So thanks, Ben!

Note that Kallithrea's event is different from the other two in that it's found in its own map.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
I actually didn't want to make designs and only wanted to play Skull Crag. I think I played it 6 or 7 times until I figured it out, but that was years ago. I would have suggested doing the two keep quests first, then the city quest. I did get to the ending without cheating. Might have been version 1.0 though. That was probably 4 or 5 years ago. I think I looked up the quests and figured it out, or just did the six combinations until one worked.  :-\

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
IMHO - I think it was meant to work that after you found two of the items the kidnapping occurs.  I played it that way and it seemed to finish just fine with all the items.  I wasnt to say in the solving of the kidnapping, you find the final piece...

FBN66 - Jeff

anything