Author Topic: Second step lockup  (Read 1984 times)

Offline SaneGino

• Been playing this game forever...
Second step lockup
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
No matter what module i play on, as soon as i take the second step forward (i can turn as much as i want)  the game locks up.  The mouse still moves fine, but none of the buttons work, and i can't move the PC's anymore.  help?  Is it perhaps just a corrupted game file or something fixable?
Frua is INDEED great.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Second step lockup
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
This is a very common problem.  It's usually an indication that you have the sound settings wrong (it's crashing on the call to the sound card after the first "footstep" special effect).

You might need to change your sound card IRQ or other settings (possibly even turning it off).

If you can give us more information about how you're running the game (via DOSBox, in Windows, etc) and what your settings are, I'm sure we can help you figure it out.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »
  As Ben said, this is almost always a sound problem. Try turning the sound off.
  In UAShell, go to Editors - Sound Registry, and answer no to all the questions. If running without UAShell, run 'sound.exe' from the UA root directory and select 'none'.
  If it starts working, it was a sound problem. If you still want sound, you might try a different 'SFXDQ.VOC' file. I know on my system, some will work and some won't.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »
Well, the problem could stem from how you're running UA, as well.  I don't recommend running it in native Windows...as it doesn't always work great when it comes to sound.  It's much better to run it on either a DOS machine or in DOSBox.

There *are* solutions to making the sound work correctly in Windows, though.  But I'll let someone else handle that answer.

If you're running it in DOSBox, it could simply be that you've assigned the wrong IRQ or something.  Fiddling around with the install program will allow you to change it.

And I'm pretty sure that sound is your issue.  I've seen it dozens of times on a lot of different machines (I've been running UA, like many people here, since 1993...and I've owned many machines and run on many different operating systems in that time), so I would almost guarantee it.

Offline SaneGino

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
Well in the install i can't (that i know of) fiddle with the IRQ, but i would like to know how to use dosbox to play the game, and i would wonder if one could simply use windows command prompt?
Frua is INDEED great.

Offline SaneGino

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
But yes the music was my problem.  disabling it fixed the problem, thanks!
Frua is INDEED great.

Offline uydevotee

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
I have the same sort of thing trying to get started.
when I load uashell it says I need FRUA 1.2
I changed the defaults for sound to "off" but my F8(start module) is grayed out so I cant load the changes.
and I cant find sound.exe
ill see if I can find a 1.2 maybe that will do it

edit: think I got it, don't ask me how though...
into the deeps!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:43:27 PM by uydevotee »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
If you're not running version 1.2 of FRUA, I highly recommend that you install the update.  Not doing so will break some modules.  For example, guided tours work completely different pre-1.2, which means that 99% of the modules out there may not work right when you come across one, and some could even stop your progress.

Here is the link to the 1.2 version of FRUA:  http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/misc/fruav12.zip

Offline gcc

• Game Con Central
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
I've copied FRUA from PC to PC as I've upgraded hardware over the years and somewhere along the lines (a WinME PC I believe) the sound stopped working.  Until I read this thread last week, I had accepted my lack of sound and didn't really think much of it.  I ran sound.exe over the weekend (in DOS Box) and I now have sound again!  (Although the footsteps are starting to get to me.)

Thank you all!
---------
Jason
Game Convention Central

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
Glad we were able to help!  :)