Author Topic: Could Dungeoncraft support multiframe combat icons, or is that a foul can worms?  (Read 86 times)

Offline Mechanaut

Could Dungeoncraft support multiframe combat icons, or is that a foul can [of] worms?

The (probably short lived) title says it all... I was just curious if that were even remotely feasible for a future update?

To be clear, specifically: I mean animating the combat icons with a few frames on each action.  So instead of only the start & end frames (as with GB)... for actions, there could be a few middle frames. (I was thinking four or five frames in total.)

*It occurs to me (now) that this could potentially mean two or more actions; walking & attacking.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:23:02 AM by Mechanaut »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
There are really two things here - 1) more than one frame for attack 2) frames for other things.

The short ansswer is that DC already does multi-frame animations - spells for example currently use from 2 to 16 frames, picked by the designer.

Isssue #1:   right now, DC can use multiframe (more than 2) for combatant icons, but each 2 is a different icon index. We can switch back and forth between them using GPDL scripts. We would have to have ssome way to differentiate between the two.
Issue #2:   backwards compatibility - when we introduce exxtra frames how will DC deal with the traditional format.

I don't mean to imply that this should not be a feature request. :) I just want to throw out some thoughts on the topic, because we have discussed this several times before. Historically, we have opted to continue to use the FRUA/GB format.

Offline Mechanaut

Thanks for the answer; I wasn't sure if DC could reasonably support a change to the icon behavior, without extensive changes to allow it.   

Could the updated engine (that hypothetically supports animated combat icons) treat the traditional format as the new format—lacking optional details, and having just the two icon frames; defaulting to the same two for all actions?  Such that the pre-existing designs supply enough information as-is, but that new designs can supply additional content and details, like allocating for more than two frames, supplying the frame images, and perhaps different image sets for different supported actions.

I didn't envision smooth bobbing avatars from this; just the appearance of slight evolution to the GB system. Even just three frames could be cool.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:58:35 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
In theory? Sure, DC could do this. :D
I am sure that if we ever were to implement this, that we would build in backwards compatibility.

There are lotss of other graphic things that I prioritize over this, but I have definitely put request on the list. :D

anything