Author Topic: new as of engine 2.91: Arrow Key Movement  (Read 145 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
new as of engine 2.91: Arrow Key Movement
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »
With version 2.91 of the engine (actually 2.90 and 2.91), Paul fixed a combat issue where the arrow keys were not working if manual targetting was selected when a spell was cast. He also fixed an issue with a spell behaving in two ways depending on which way enemy was targetted.

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: new as of engine 2.91: Arrow Key Movement
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:21:46 PM »
Thank You, time to update my DC files :)

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
Will version 3.0 be a full (or partial?) re-write, with all of the previous patches (and difficulty in past patching) taken into account from the outset?

The reason I ask, is (just a guess...and assumption) that the guts of the app might be starting to resemble a virtual bread-board suffering feature-creep, and work-around fever.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:39:31 AM by Mechanaut »

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
As far as the engine (and editor) are concerned....

Version 3.00 will be version 2.99 + 0.01.
Version 2.99 will be version 2.98 + 0.01
Version 2.98 will be version 2.97 + 0.01
etc.   See http://99-bottles-of-beer.net

The rule is: 
1) Manikus asks me to fix a problem.
2) I fix the problem.
3) I add 0.01 to the version number.
4) I release a new executable.
5) I deny any knowledge of previous versions.

The engine very much resembles your wire-wrapped breadboard.
It always will.  There is no plan to clean it up.

Manikus will have to speak to his method of
releasing data and resource files.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 01:38:48 PM »
What Paul said. :D :D :D

I probably will od a 3.0 release, not because it's 3.0 per se as far as Paul and I are concerned but for the benefit of the world at large.
I consider releases to be what I post SourceForge. I use the most recent versions of the databases, and typically a release comes after a major round of bug fixes AND significant change to at least one of the databases (usually the special abilities database), and by significant, I mean something that changes game design/play. :)

I used to keep a most recent version of the databases in the forums, but that was causing a bigger headache than not - it was even more difficult for some people to determine if they had the most recent dataabases or not.
A look behind the curtain:
I don't have one version of a database that I work with. I have one for each bug as applicable and one for each new thing or upgraded thing. For example, I have the official most up-to-date spells database, an AURA spells database, an Override spells datbase, a "Web" spells database, a "Light/Dark" spells database, a "Outer Planes" spells database, a "Pantheons" spells database, an "Illusionist" spells database, a "new items" spells datbase, and a "new mosnters" spells database., Each of these spells databases has a corresponding special abilies database.
There are lots of moving parts here, but it's all modular, by which I mean I can finish the Light and Darkness spells without needing to change any of the other databases until completion when they will get added to the official databases (I only will add them to the other 'module' databases if they are necessary for completion).
I have beeen using this method for a long time - developed when nologgie was here and it's a great way for multiple people to be working on the databases. It just so happens that right now it's only me...