Author Topic: Review: The Academy (DEMO)  (Read 669 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Review: The Academy (DEMO)
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
"The Academy" is a demo design which Manikus did as a contribution to the Dungeon Craft House/Manor/Castle contest in 2009.
Being a demo, the design can probably not be counted as a real game, but I still encourage everybody interested in DC to check it out.
Among other interesting aspects, Manikus used an enlarged, square 3d viewport and a 800x600 pixel resolution for this layout, and the art is very beautiful (even though some walls could still be better if all walls slots were used properly). Perhaps even more interesting is how talk events are handled in this demo. Meeting characters, you can type in words which then result in appropriate answers - similar, to some degree, how negotiations are handled in Wizardry 7.

Back in 2009, I gave the following marks (on a scale from 0-10):
Story: 4 (While being a demo, the design gave glimpses of a very interesting background story...)
Events and Riddles: 2 (This was one criterion for the contest, but there was no real riddle except finding the right keywords in the talk events.)
Graphics: 10 (In 2009, this was probably the most impressive design concerning graphics...)
Presentation: 9 (I gave this high mark because I was so impressed by the modified screen layout.)
Gameplay: 3 (There is really not much the party can do except meeting NPCs...)

Even now, 7 years later, I think there is much to learn from this demo in terms of graphics, layout, and handling talk events. I wonder if this demo will result in a finished game one day... If so, I would be eager to play it!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Review: The Academy (DEMO)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »
Events and Riddles: 2 (This was one criterion for the contest, but there was no real riddle except finding the right keywords in the talk events.)

So, you didn't finish the demo did you? ;) Once you figure out what questions to ask of the NPCs, there is a whole second part of the demo. :D

Thanks for the review.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:41:06 PM »
To be honest, I do not remember - but now, I guess, I have to play it again and maybe update the review... :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »
Don't feel obligated to play it again. :) If you want to know what I am talking about, send me a PM.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:18:21 PM »
The Academy Demo is available again. :D
http://manikus.reonis.com/files/Academy_DEMO.zip

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 02:03:22 AM »
Good news. By the way, I have not yet found the time to play it again (actually I am still working of doing 2-floor walls based on Uatu's medieval wall... :) ). Sooner or later I will ask you what I missed... :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 12:30:58 PM »
Good news. By the way, I have not yet found the time to play it again (actually I am still working of doing 2-floor walls based on Uatu's medieval wall... :) ). Sooner or later I will ask you what I missed... :D

As someone who has played it before, you should just wait for the full version...
   ...when you sent me the archive, I said that I ould try and just update it to th enewest version of DC...
   BUT
   ---of course I started doing some new art, new dialogues, etc (I have a version that already has much done since the demo, but not near finished and I was adding to that)...
   SO
   ...I put that aside and put the original demo out - updated to newest version of DC of course with only 2 grahics changed - the title screen and one backdrop - but otherwise the same...

Floor walls for the medieval wall by Uautu sound cool. Can't wait to see them. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »
I knew "2-floor walls" would cause confusion... :) I meant walls for buildings with a second floor. High walls, if you like. BUT, I guess I will have to do floor walls in Uatu style, too.

A "full" version of the Academy? Cool!  :D I think that might also be useful to show what one can do with DC.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »
I probably wasn't paying close enough attention. :D
But, in some configurations you do need celing walls when using 2nd story walls. I suspect that you and I might be the only ones who know this...