Author Topic: PREVIEW: Greymist Keep  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Darcnyss

PREVIEW: Greymist Keep
« on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
Just a quick sneak peek of the module I'm working on, a DC conversion of on of my P&P campaigns set in me and my friend's own fantasy world of Darnathia.
The module includes several new races and classes unique to Darnathia, along with the standard races and classes.

Basic Plot:
A group of young adventurers join the Adventurers Guild in search of adventure, only to find themselves pulled into the affairs of a dark cult, the intrigues of the nobility, and strange disappearances of various villagers in the surrounding area. Their quest will lead them across the Western central parts of the continent of Eltara, to the 800 year old cursed ruins of Greymist Keep, where even the stoutest adventurers dare not tread...

The module is still in its early stages, but about 90% of the wall and backdrop art has been completed, as well as the starter town of Elmsfall and its surrounds.

Here are a few location screenshots:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:50:49 AM by Darcnyss »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: PREVIEW: Greymist Keep
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
Looks nice.  Can you tell us a little bit about the races and classes that will be included?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
Those screenshots look good. :) I look forward to hearing more about your design.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
Thank you, ProphetSword and Manikus.
I can indeed tell you a bit more about the races and classes.

New Races:
Hruneth - a humanoid race with slightly feline features. Nimble, wiley and exceptionally inventive, Hruneth make pretty good rogues, scouts and spies.

Ghulblaine - this tall, handsome, green-skinned race is a far-off cousin to the elves, and highly in touch with the magical weave of Darnathia.

Thibean - this froglike amphibious race is the oldest of all the Darnathian races. The descendants of the first sentient race, simply known as The Ones Before, they are completely cut off from the magical weave of Darnathia, but make up for this with exceptional strength and endurance.

Shadow Elves - the tall, black-haired, pale-skinned Shadow Elves are a complete mystery to the majority of Darnathia's citizens. All that is known is that they are not natives of this world. They are also the only race who can become Shadow Mages (see below)

As for other races, I am still pondering which others to add. Gnomes have been removed, since they are not native to Darnathia, and also, I'm pondering whether I should add the various subraces of Darnathian Dwarves.

I have only added 3 of the Darnathian classes so far, while I try to figure out how to incorporate the special abilities of some of the others...

Classes:

Runeblade - a magical warrior who may only use bladed weapons, can wear up to medium armor, and casts their own special brand of runic magic.

Deathspeaker - a type of cleric class with spells and abilities aimed at dealing with and combating various forms of undead.

Shadow Mage - a special magic user class that draws their power and spells from the realms of shadow. Only Shadow Elves know how to train in the art of shadows, however.

There may be more added as I try to figure out how to add some of the other Darnathian class abilities, but for now, I'm still tweaking the above and testing them out to make sure they'll work.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 06:54:58 PM »
This is very intriguing. I didn't see anything in the class descriptions that DC can't handle. :) If you have any questions on implementation of any special abilities, etc, just ask. I am more than happy to help where I can.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »
This is very intriguing. I didn't see anything in the class descriptions that DC can't handle. :) If you have any questions on implementation of any special abilities, etc, just ask. I am more than happy to help where I can.
Thank you very much, Manikus. I'll definitely give you a shout if I get stuck.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »
This sounds intriguing.  Definitely keep us up to date on how it goes.  The occasional screenshot doesn't hurt either.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:32:49 AM »
This sounds intriguing.  Definitely keep us up to date on how it goes.  The occasional screenshot doesn't hurt either.
Will do. Most screenshots currently will consist of location shots, though, since most event art consists of a bunch of placeholder art, and combat icons are currently just rescaled FRUA icons.
My main concern is getting a consistent art style going for this project, and I am by no means a character artist. I am collecting lots of fantasy art portaits and the like to try and edit to fit the Darnathian setting, though.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 06:59:13 AM »
Just a quick edit of a NWN portrait. A Hruneth thief.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 08:13:32 AM »
A Shadow Elf Shadow Mage takes on a giant rat...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 08:18:44 AM »
Those screenshots look good. :)
I am impressed by these walls and backgrounds - I particularly wonder how you did the water - is it a "floor wall" like Manikus and I sometimes use, or did you do special backgrounds?

EDIT: Speaking of consistency, the rat might need a shadow... :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 08:32:44 AM »
Those screenshots look good. :)
I am impressed by these walls and backgrounds - I particularly wonder how you did the water - is it a "floor wall" like Manikus and I sometimes use, or did you do special backgrounds?

EDIT: Speaking of consistency, the rat might need a shadow... :)

Thank you very much, Dinonykos.
The underground stream is a special background. It's simply the cave backdrop set with a water texture added to it. I'll post some examples of my special backdrops as soon as I get home. I'm posting from my phone at the moment.
As for the giant rat, I definitely agree. I actually think I'll move on to very different icons as the project progresses.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
The close-up backdrops for the underground stream.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
A Shadow Elf Shadow Mage takes on a giant rat...

The FRUA icons look surprisingly good like that.  How did you get them to be so big on the combat field?  Are they that way naturally or did you do something to resize them?  In my experience, standard DC icons are much smaller to the eye.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 09:52:07 AM »
The close-up backdrops for the underground stream.
Thanks for showing the background! I think in case of your design, this is indeed the best option to do it. It becomes complicated if you want to have something big (like a big lake)...

The FRUA icons look surprisingly good like that.  How did you get them to be so big on the combat field?  Are they that way naturally or did you do something to resize them?  In my experience, standard DC icons are much smaller to the eye.
Maybe you tested DC with different resolution? The icons look indeed very small in DC when you use the 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution - here you have them in 640x480...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE