Author Topic: Calling all artists! Icon requests  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Calling all artists! Icon requests
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2016, 03:53:27 AM »
Well, the rulebooks didn't supply a sample picture, so I think you did okay. :D
I think I read somewhere that it can move, while from the description you posted, I conclude it is rather sessile... Similarly to the "Kraken deal", I offer to do a different version if there are urgent requests. :D

Now, I guess we will just be waiting on me to do some mash-ups with Uatu's icons.
I think concerning the "lyccetaceans", that should not be much of a problem. Fortunately, Uatu did his wolves and his lion in different sizes... :)

I must admit I underestimated the effort concerning the rays: Uatu's Ixitxachitl looks like a small Manta Ray to me, while, if the D&D Stingray is identical to the real animal, it would look quite different and be much smaller. 
Concerning the Pungi Ray, I found some data, but no info on size and no image. I guess from what I read that it is a ray with green spines on its back which can look like "sea weed". If I am right concerning the Stingray (normal size) and if you could give me some idea what the Pungi Ray looks like and how big it is, I could do both of them during the next days...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2016, 01:19:45 PM »
Uaut did provide different sized wolves and lions, but doesn't mean they math up with the cetaceans in the first case. ;) For theh seawolf, the dolphin got put on a bit of a diet. :D I haven't started the greater sewolf yet, but it should work better. Now, the sea lion appears to be front half lion and back half sea serpent. There are two pictures within the rulebooks, one is of two sea lions hunting a dolphin and the sea lion tails appear vertical. The other sea lion picture clearly shows a scaled tail and scaled front legs.

The Sting ray (or stingray depending where I looked) is the actual real world animal. The rulebook states it is 5 ft across. Wikipedia also says it is 5 feet or 1.7 meters across. :)

The pungi ray is listed as 15 feet across and looking more like a stingray with spikes than another kind of ray. I couldn't find much real world stuff about it, other than to find out that in contemporary Indian culture that "pungi" is a derogatory term. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »
There are two pictures within the rulebooks, one is of two sea lions hunting a dolphin and the sea lion tails appear vertical. The other sea lion picture clearly shows a scaled tail and scaled front legs.
Oha!  :o

The Sting ray (or stingray depending where I looked) is the actual real world animal. The rulebook states it is 5 ft across. Wikipedia also says it is 5 feet or 1.7 meters across. :)
The pungi ray is listed as 15 feet across and looking more like a stingray with spikes than another kind of ray. I couldn't find much real world stuff about it, other than to find out that in contemporary Indian culture that "pungi" is a derogatory term. ;)
Good, that helps a lot! I will do the rays then, if (or rather when) I find the time, perhaps even tonight...
I like rays... :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »
I will try and do the greater seawolf and sea lioin this weekend.

I have also decided to re-render the aquatic walls, overlays that I had planned on doing. The downside is that instead of being done this weekend, it will probably be after the next weekend. The upside, instead of just doing two more to go with the kelp wall, I will do at least five or six more. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
This should work as a stingray.

Are there any electrical sea animals in the 1st edition, by the way (e.g. Torpedos/electric rays)?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
That looks like a stingray to me. :) I was thinking that the 5 feet would be across the wings, not inclusive of the tail. In only found one image with a stingray and a person and assuming the person was a typical adult female, the stingray wingspan would have been about 4 feet and it's tail about 8 or 9 feet.

The only electical sea creatures I came across were the electtic eel and giant electric eel. But, there aren't a lot of real world creatures listed in the rulebooks. Doesn't mean we can't add them, though. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2016, 02:37:45 AM »
 :-[ I can't stand you being sad about one of my icons, Manikus, so I made a bigger specimen... 

I can also post a Giant Stingray, if you need one...  ;D

As you can see, the Pungi Ray is a modification of the Stingray, but I think it works well. I was not sure if the green spines were also supposed to be on the "wings", I thought that would hamper the swimming abilities of the ray significantly, so I only put them on the back.

Well, maybe Uatu or I can do an electric ray later - I'd like to have something like this in an underwater design.  ;)

You can also strike through Monoclonius in the list... :) It is posted in reply 74.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:13:55 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »
I wasn't sad per se about the icon. I will keep that in my bag of tricks though... :D :D :D

I will get all of the great icons marked off, including these two wonderful icons of rays. :) I would like to see an electric ray, too. I am not going to promise anything, but I have this half-aked idea for a short underwater design, and I am going to give each of the four races a favored guard animal. I was thinking of using rays with Locathah. ;) ( I think the rulebooks say that tritons use sea lions and sahuagin [not a player race] use sharks).

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »
So, I'm looking at a picture of the sea lion, the 2e version because the 1e versions are black and white, and the whole sea lion is lion colored (tans, browns).

Does that seem like a good color scheme?
http://www.padnd.com/monster_manual/mm00257.php

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »
I guess brownish is not a bad idea (also considering that the real sea lions are dark brown). I would probably make the nose the same colour as the hind part of the body.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »
I'll give it a try and see how it comes out. :)