Author Topic: Hide & Seek - Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo  (Read 3924 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Hide & Seek - Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »
I probably asked this already, but is there a function to automatically equip a found item? Or create NPCs which already equipped items? This might be also interesting for Hero Craft...

It turns out that we can't do this in DC right now. I was misremembering (what we can do is have NPCs join the party with spells already memorized).

---

unsure how helpful this is for what you want Dinonykos, but here goes:

Unless things have changed since I was playing around with scripts back in .914 (and I know that a lot has...) a monster/character will attempt to ready a weapon if one is not already readied in combat, but not armor as far as I recall. This was how I had set up the "boss and lackey" ideas where a weapon would be equipped at the beginning of a monsters turn in combat, and the weapon would add another copy of itself (unreadied) and then remove itself from the inventory. This allowed me to run a script in between the item swap to check if the boss was alive and if not, kill the lackeys. it was kind of hack-ish, but I could not get a monster/NPC to use any other item back then.

I have not messed with scripts lately, but I suspect there is a better way to do the "boss and lackey" idea now.

ST

THings have changed. ;) Wee can do the "oss" check sans items, too.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »
Back to the question of fires going out.

Using version 2.55 of the engine......The fire goes
out if a global asl entry "UseWallIndex" is defined.
Otherwise the fireplace disappears.

Moreover, it should all work with 0.914 designs.
'Should' being the operative word here.  Let me
know your experience.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »
Sorry, I did not yet test it, but I will do so. I spend most of my little free time doing the art for this design during the last weeks, but as written above, I am almost finished with that and can return to using the editor soon. I will then test both the compability with 0.914 and if I can get the "check if items are readied" thing to work.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
Great  news, Paul! I look forward to hearing how this works.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 05:05:38 PM »
I tested the wall change logic block.

Good thing: It works - I imported a level from a 0.914 design and with the newest engine, the wall was changed.
The "bad" thing is that of course, the wall numbering is still shifted by one in the editor. That means, when importing a 0.914-design using the logic block function to change walls into 2.x, the wall will be changed into another wall than in 0.914. I assume that for a perfect importing function, you would have to change the editor...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 05:25:42 PM »
I thought that the numbers were matching up, but the tabs in the editor were showing the wrong number . Since this is apparently not the case, I think this is a bit bigger deal now.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »
the wall numbering is still shifted by one in the editor.

The editor is supposed to number the walls starting with one. Ordinals.

Did you define the global variable that says you want your
scripts to use numbers starting with zero?  Indexes.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2016, 03:00:22 AM »
I have continued the wall-change topic here:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3380.0

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2016, 12:27:06 AM »
Oops... no update here for almost two weeks?

Here are two new mini-game related pictures

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2016, 01:10:41 PM »
Very nice. :D I can imagine a dice game, but have no idea how you are going to use that big picture - very exciting!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
Concerning the instrument - the player has to figure out how to play which chords after given the tuning of the strings. (To keep it fair, I think I will use a standard ukulele tuning...) I have not finally decided how to us the art - it depends a little on how complex the other games become.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
Sounds very ingenious. :) I can't wait to givve it a try.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »
Well, please don't expect it until next year, or at least christmas this year. While I have already tested several of the mini games, I have, for example, not yet really tried to implement the dice game I have in mind (though I made a concept how to do it).
Furthermore, I think I should wait for some more feedback to the other designs I completed this year (for example in context with the contest) before publishing this one.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
Fair enough, and not unexpected. I am looking forward to it all the same, but not "holding my breath". ;)

One of my big goals for this last Summer (which obvously I have failed), was to play all of the existing DC designs. I have everthing downloaded and ready to go, but am still working on some bugs - but as soon as the combat issue (free attacks bug appears resolved, but fixing it brought up some other stuff) and the music path issue are resolved, I will take a pause to make sure all databases are up-to -date and we will release. And then, I will play games. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
I am looking forward to it all the same, but not "holding my breath". ;)
That's good! I was a little concerned!  :)

One of my big goals for this last Summer (which obvously I have failed), was to play all of the existing DC designs. I have everthing downloaded and ready to go, but am still working on some bugs - but as soon as the combat issue (free attacks bug appears resolved, but fixing it brought up some other stuff) and the music path issue are resolved, I will take a pause to make sure all databases are up-to -date and we will release. And then, I will play games. :D
I see I caused us to go off-topic again, but... I think it would be good to have at least one review for every DC design. At the moment, we have 21 games on the Ultimate DC Design List (well, including 2 games with demo character and one of which I have still not understood if it is finished or not), but only 6 reviews. For "The Acadamy Demo", I think I should be able to write a short review quickly based on the text I wrote for the 2009 contest. But it would be great to have some reviews for the older designs, too.