Author Topic: PREVIEW: Dragons of Duplicity -- FRUA version  (Read 1905 times)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
PREVIEW: Dragons of Duplicity -- FRUA version
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
Some time ago I posted a preview of a Dungeon Craft design, Dragons of Duplicity. The exciting new capacities of Dungeon Craft inspired me to start work on this module. But DC opened up so many possibilities that I kept getting distracted, and I had started to feel I would never finish the module. So I started working on a FRUA version of the module. Ironically, the limitations of FRUA have actually helped me make progress by constraining what I can do and preventing me from getting too ambitious. At the same time, I am trying to push myself to utilise lots of FRUA hacks which I had not previously mastered. What can be done with hacking in FRUA is really amazing. Hopefully, if I finish the FRUA version I can then make a DC conversion, but for now I am focussing my attention on FRUA.

Dragons of Duplicity
Anyway, I now present the first preview of my first FRUA module, Dragons of Duplicity. It is still a long way off being completed, but this is by far the most progress I have ever made with a FRUA (or DC) module (and I have been playing with FRUA on and off since about 1994!).

The intention is that I will post a few screenshots now, and further new screenshots from time to time. The purpose of this is both to keep me motivated and, hopefully, to interest others. I am aiming to complete and release the design before FRUA's 25th anniversary.

Brief overview
The proposed name of the design is "Dragons of Duplicity". It is a medium-to-large-scale design -- probably around 20 dungeons (though it will seem less to the player) and an overland -- set in the Dragonlance world of Krynn, in the period following the War of the Lance but before the end of the Age of Despair (in about the year 363AC, about 5 years after Dark Queen of Krynn takes place). Characters will start at about second level.

Progress to date
  • I have done almost all the CKIT and other hacking required. Hacks will include:
    • modest modification of character classes and races to reflect the Dragonlance game world;
    • lots of new items;
    • lots of new wall art, including "tall" walls;
    • new backdrop art;
    • titles screens;
    • new music;
    • new font;
    • recoloured frame art;
    • a few new dungeon combat wallsets; and
    • a new set of character icons (some original, some made by others); and
    • a few modest modifications to the GUI.
  • I have produced much new art including pictures and bigpics, monster combat icons (some original, some made by others).
  • I have completed the new overland map. The game takes place in north western Ansalon.
  • I have completed most of the dungeon maps, including many of the non-quest-specific events.
  • I have completed the opening sequence.
  • I have a broad idea of the general storyline of the module. I am still not quite sure yet exactly how I will bring the elements together.
Screenshots
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:55:58 PM by steve_mcdee »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: PREVIEW: Dragons of Duplicity -- FRUA version
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:42:42 PM »
Looks great.  I'm excited about the possibility of seeing a high quality module in the Dragonlance setting.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:33:12 PM »
Wow!  Very exciting!  I will certainly be looking forward to this mod!!!   :hello2:

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:13:12 AM »
Outstanding!
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 06:29:25 AM »
Looks good.

It does take discipline to get something, anything, out the door.

If you haven't heard of it, you might want to take a look at agile development ideas - they can be applied to just about any project.  In this case, I am thinking of 'minimum viable product' - get a core module together that does some of what you want, and then use the satisfaction of that, and the feedback you get, to make iterative improvements.  I find if you try to do something ambitious all in one go, and in a hobby space where no one is pushing you to deliver, it can take forever to get something out to fellow hobbyists.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »
Yes, going back to Krynn will be amazing. Look forward to following this project.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
I also will follow this with interest, though I am also wishing for DC version. My own DC project also needs my focus but I am hoping that I will get it in order, though it is geting larger then it maybe should :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »
Looks great!

But DC opened up so many possibilities that I kept getting distracted, and I had started to feel I would never finish the module. So I started working on a FRUA version of the module. Ironically, the limitations of FRUA have actually helped me make progress by constraining what I can do and preventing me from getting too ambitious.

Good aspect. For my last modules, I have also set myself restrictions (like using only a few levels, keeping areas small and so on). Still, I would also like to see a DC version of your module, because the DC screenshots you showed were so promising!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »
Lol, I was thinking when I have read this thread that good rule of thumb for DC adventures would be not to use more then 5 encounters at least in the start :)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
Two more screenshots:

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
That looks fantastic  8) I like how the keep walls are done.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:29:10 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 01:44:40 PM »
Looks fantastic! Love the color scheme and font you are using. Looking forward to this!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
Me too and I hope that I will learn to do things like that too. I also think that I should try to draw things I need for my mods in the future :) It has been some time since I have not done it but I wasn't bad though there were betters then me. I just need to start doing it again :)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 02:45:49 AM »
Thank you all for all the kind remarks and words of encouragement.

Here is another screenshot. This particular combat may not actually feature in the game, but it shows off the new combat walls and a few of the combat icons.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 03:38:34 AM »
Great!  :hello2: It is always impressive how charmful well-made low-resolution graphics can be...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

anything