Author Topic: Old School Computer Game  (Read 1172 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Old School Computer Game
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »
Another game highly inspired by the Gold-Box games is called "Old School Computer Game" or "OSCG."  I've been playing it in my free time, and it's highly addictive and includes a many of the races and classes from the AD&D books (as well as an option that appears to let you play the Basic D&D classes, including "Races as Classes" instead...though I admit I haven't fully explored that yet).

One cool feature it has that the Gold-Box games doesn't is that your combat icons will update as you change weapons, armors and shields...so they will actually alter themselves.

This game isn't free, but it does only cost $1.00, and it was definitely worth the $1.00 I paid for it.  You can find out more about it here:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149082/Old-School-Computer-Game?site=&manufacturers_id=7465#_=_

Features
- 18 classes, including clerics, druids, fighters, magic-users, rangers, paladins, thieves, dwarves, elves and halflings
- 147 spells for clerics, druids and magic-users to cast
- over 250 different opponents to encounter and defeat
- hundreds of magical items to find and use
- a large, randomly-generated world map to explore
- over 80 quests to complete (a mix of randomly-generated and hand-crafted content)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:03:21 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Old School Computer Game
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Some screenshots for those who are interested.  The game has hand-drawn artwork, but it works.

Screen 1:  Shows the character creation screen.  Notice that I have chosen at least two classes not available in the Gold-Box games (Kensai and Cavalier).

Screen 2:  Shows the first combat my party has with some guards.  The party has no equipment, so appears all in blue clothes (except for the mage, who is in red).

Screen 3:  Shows the beginning of the second combat (guards are off screen).  Notice how some of the icons have changed to reflect the leather armor and weapons the group has found...

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »
The looks brilliant, certainly in terms of system design. How is exploration, in the same top down mode?

I was also wondering about how much content the game offers. From the description, it mentions a sand-box type adventure. I wonder how it compares in length/depth to some of the Gold Box games.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
I had time to explore three different dungeons.  As far as how much content it has, I don't know...but I have only done 2 quests (out of 80 available apparently), and there seems to be an option to buy a boat for 5,000 gold, so I'm guessing there must be things to explore beyond the landmass I've been exploring.  I intend to get back to the game soon.

As for exploration, it is top down (like IceBlink) rather than the 3D of FRUA.  Graphics are bare-bones, but for a game like this, they're fine.  If you can play a rogue-like with ASCII graphics, the artwork in this game won't put you off.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:53:50 AM »
Looks good, I wish I could learn to make games like that :)

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »
Hi folks.

I'm the author of Old School Computer Game.  Thank you for posting about it here.  It is extremely gratifying to read that people are enjoying playing the game.  If you find any bugs, or want to see a feature added, please post about it here or on the game's page.

ProphetSword, those are great character names!

cheers,
Andrew
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:29:58 AM »
The looks brilliant, certainly in terms of system design. How is exploration, in the same top down mode?

I was also wondering about how much content the game offers. From the description, it mentions a sand-box type adventure. I wonder how it compares in length/depth to some of the Gold Box games.

The game has two kinds of maps - the areas you explore, and the zoomed-in combat maps shown in the screen shots posted here.  The combat maps have very little detail - open squares, blocked squares, combatants and area effects (e.g. stinking cloud).  The world maps are also top-down tile-based, but with slightly better tiles showing settlements, mountains, trees, doors, containers, stairs and so on.

All art consists of small tiles (32x32 up to 64x64 pixels) drawn by me.  Most of the tiles are based on better art I have seen elsewhere, but every last pixel is my own work .. and fault.  As you can see, art is not my strong point.  :)  I hope that the art is functional and conveys what is happening, but it is left to your imagination to add in the finer points.

As for the amount of content, the game has five hand-crafted quests spanning levels 1-4, and dozens of randomly-generated ones spanning levels 1-30.  "Hand-crafted" means I took the time to draw the maps in an editor, and place events, using a process similar to what you would with FRUA.  This is time-consuming, and over time I became bored replaying the same quests where I knew what was coming, so I wrote random-generation algorithms for quests and maps.

The game world is a large map filled with randomly-generated islands, each with settlements and quest locations set on them.  Quest locations are things like castles, ruins and caves.  Random quest types are currently limited to four types:  clear the location of bad guys, kill a major bad guy, find a major treasure, or fully explore the map.  I am working on adding more quest types - rescues, item retrievals, the usual fare.

All of this randomness means that no two games will be exactly the same.  I don't know how to compare the game's length and depth to the classic gold box games, which I hold in high esteem.  My game has more content - more classes, spells, items, monsters, quests and maps - but I would never claim to have produced a better game than say, Pools of Radiance or Champions of Krynn.  As for depth, until I deliver some lengthier hand-crafted quests, I think the gold box games have more to offer there.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
I hope the game continues to be developed and more stuff is added.  It is very similar to having a Gold-Box rogue-like...which is kind of awesome.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
That sounds great, Outlander78. This is exactly the kind of adventure I'd enjoy playing. I'm always impressed by breadth of content. Look forward to checking it out.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
 ;D Awesome, this forum is really great place to meet smart people and maybe learn from them. I am also hoping that game will improve and praying for that.