Author Topic: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece  (Read 8239 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »
Perhaps it is the OCD side of my personality, but I find that I get as much enjoyment out of organizing my files as I do creating art at time. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2016, 03:28:02 AM »
Yet, you (and Dinonykos) manage to get so much done, anyway!
Are you guys random, creative types?  Or orderly management types?  :D

Concerning finishing designs, I think the key is to set oneself borders:
  • Keep background stories short, or split them in chapters.
  • Keep levels and the whole design as small as it is possible as long as it fits the story - my impression is that most of forum members do not have time to play long designs anyway.
  • Use art/music effectively - for those of us who do art themselves, it is very seducing to do more and more pictures/music and drift off from the main designing process. Stop doing art at a certain point!
  • Do not get lost in FRUA's and particularly DC's great possibilities to do complex things.

And I think it is very good to do short, yet playable designs to test things - of course this is useful for "bug hunting", but also to see if certain approaches would work for larger designs. E.g., the approach of moving NPC walls I used in "Snow Tigress" is much too complex, even with DC 2.x's new possibilities, to be used in an epic adventure...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:34:31 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »

Concerning finishing designs, I think the key to set oneself borders:
  • Keep levels and the whole design as small as it is possible as long as it fits the story - my impression is that most of forum members do not have time to play long designs anyway.
  • Use art/music effectively - for those of us who do art themselves, it is very seducing to do more and more pictures/music and drift off from the main designing process. Stop doing art at a certain point!
  • Do not get lost in FRUA's and particularly DC's great possibilities to do complex things.

And I think it is very good to do short, yet playable designs to test things - of course this is useful for "bug hunting", but also to see if certain approaches would work for larger designs. E.g., the approach of moving NPC walls I used in "Snow Tigress" is much too complex, even with DC 2.x's new possibilities, to be used in an epic adventure...

I know this is general commentary, but I felt as if you wrote this DIRECTLY to me. ;) Of course, I actually do create tons of mini-mods to test features and bug hunt. And lately a lot of the bugs are being found from my work on my Superhero project.

I agree with all of your points. I think we can and should still do epic designs, but they can be done in chapters - which make them manageable for the designer and the player.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2016, 02:53:15 AM »
I should add that I am well-aware that many FRUA veterans have come to similar conclusions decades ago... :) The fact that FRUA has not as many possibilities as DC may in some way be beneficial.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2016, 09:04:18 AM »
The fact that FRUA has not as many possibilities as DC may in some way be beneficial.

Be careful what you ask for.  You might get it.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »
The fact that FRUA has not as many possibilities as DC may in some way be beneficial.

:D As I readhis post, I could hear you saying that, Paul. :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2016, 01:56:35 AM »
 :o I am sure I will be able to work with DC even if it has many more options than FRUA...  ;D

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »

while we do not want to move backwards, for less options; I think that this is the kind of thing that is being referred to (from this --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2600 where they made a halo game for the atari 2600 :o)

"The Atari 2600 had such limited RAM, only 128 bytes, that drawing Master Chief was difficult, and creating a game with other characters was even more so.[8] Fries later stated that making the game taught him that constraint is sometimes a fuel for creativity."

---

We are thankful for the patience you have put into DC, and would not want to revert to less options

ST the halo fan

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2016, 01:04:05 PM »
This design is called "The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece" - are there any masterpieces shown in it? :D I am mostly curious to find out what you think a masterpiece in a traditional Dungeons & Dragons setting would look like. Many masterpieces in the real world are religiously themed. Do you think this would be true in a fantasy world with multiple deities?
[I mean for the "you" to apply to Dinonykos of course, but really for everyone reading the thread]

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »
It's the crown shown in reply 31 of this thread.
You know I am not a D&D expert. My idea was that an object done by seven dwarves as a present to an elf king to improve diplomatic relationships MUST be a masterpiece.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »
It's the crown shown in reply 31 of this thread.
You know I am not a D&D expert. My idea was that an object done by seven dwarves as a present to an elf king to improve diplomatic relationships MUST be a masterpiece.

I saw the crown, but my brain read "masterpiece" and told me "painting". :D
Certainly you are correct that the crown would count as a masterpiece. I would think that any piece of art (and some craft items) created by master artisans who put in a special effort (more time or more inspiration, etc) would qualify.

Even not knowing a lot (or even anything) about AD&D, as a designer, you likely have some idea of what kinds of things would be masterpieces. I'm just curioius about an artistic persons take on art. :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2016, 11:56:11 AM »

Concerning finishing designs, I think the key is to set oneself borders:

Lots of good advice there, especially for people like me!  Manikus definitely gets a lot more done than I do!  (Organizing and such may help out after all!)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
I often think that organizing files is my number one hobby, and occasionally some DC stuff or art gets done as a side-effect.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2016, 07:14:37 AM »
Ha ha...  :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
As I posted in the other thread concerning the contest, this design can now be downloaded from my homepage. I followed Steve's advice and did not make scenarios for all 10 possible culprits, but I won't tell who can be excluded... :D

anything