Author Topic: RELEASED: Hearkenwold  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Platinum Bearer

• Supreme Overlord Of Everything Cool
  • Play Call Of Destiny! Tis Awesome! :)
    • Hyper Speed Martial Arts - My youtube channel
Re: RELEASED: Hearkenwold
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 02:58:21 AM »
How come you can't always take the enemy's stuff? I just killed a bunch of goblin assassins and couldn't take their short bows and then beat that rebel gang and was expecting to get that staff for my mage but could only take a short bow, arrows and a dagger. ???
Part one of Call Of Destiny:
https://www.mediafire.com/?fs3cfu7niuuqdwt

Wanna learn martial arts?
Check out my brand new channel with new and improved videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA
Tutorials coming very soon.

Remember, true power comes from within.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 03:15:32 AM »
I wanted to go for a Might & Magic type exploration vibe,

There is a certain M&M exploration vibe, in that I so far we have had to retreat from two areas after barely escaping with our lives. First after killing a Wyvern under the village (luckily with only one party member down), and then from a "land shark" north of Khyn (Curse + Stinking Cloud thankfully worked, or things could have turned really ugly).
Reminds me of MM1!

BTW, the whole mission to Khyn is a bit iffy. First Thespar, Abbot of Khyn, sends us to Khyn, but gives no directions. And when we find the city, we can't tell the guards that we are on a mission from 'Arry the abbot.

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 04:06:21 AM »
Damn there's a lot to remember. I need to find that farmer I met yesterday but can't remember if he's in the castle or at Khyn.

In the bit where you get hit for damage when you're wandering around it looks like it happens in certain squares, it's happened to me three time in the exact same place. A random chance of it happening in that whole area would be much better.

Sometime you have to talk to people multiple times to get everything and that would make it very easy to miss something important. I almost missed that I'd found the bloke in Khyn who owed money and I just had to talk to the one who gives you the three missions three times to tell him that I'd met a farmer.

I just survived an attack by goblins (after two other fights) with one conscious character with 1HP left. :)

Edit:
Found him, and just trained my first character. :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:17:03 AM by Platinum Bearer »

Check out my brand new channel with new and improved videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf7lqNU1J2cCmm4BtZC1XA

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »
@ Platinum Bearer

I am stingy with loot, that's true. This is to keep things tight on the player with both having items they could sell off for money, and also equipment they need. Basically, there are specific encounters where you can pick up stuff that would be useful. Otherwise, monsters don't drop treasures.

But I'm glad you are having some close battles. The reason you need to talk to NPCs multiple times, is because of the way I structured conversations. With Question Lists and multiple responses, there is no way to copy and past  duplicate text in FRUA. So often times after the initial talk with a character, you have to return to get the rest of the story. I wouldn't expect players to keep notes, but there quite a bit of information thrown at the player, with no journal. Kind of Old School design.

@PetrusOctavianus

That's great! I really wanted to capture that sense of running into harder encounters, typical of classic M&M. Even backtracking and coming back again.

I have to think about Thespar's mission to Khyn, which I added later in development. There are supposed to be only two ways into the city right now, and players will likely get the Abbot's order early thus missing the chance to hit an obstacle. That's more gamey than logical, but I'm on the fence about it.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone, and an updated version will reflect these comments.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
I am keeping notes. :)

For that area where you take damage, 100% every however many steps might be better than a random chance every step because it will be easier to control and it makes sense.

I take it for the speech you're using quest items but chaining to the next text event if the previous one doesn't happen? Couldn't you just change it to event always happens? But then I suppose you'd have to word everything so that it makes sense with or without the following texts.

I've used the bit with the storm a few times to rest. I think the storm part should only happen the once.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
That storm that you found is a free rest event, as long as certain conditions are met. I left it as an Always Happen chain, for players who do not meet the conditions. The text about the storm always fires first, because there are two possibilities that can lead to the camp event. I will check to see if I can set up that trigger in a better way.

I'll have another look at the area with the Damage event. Having a random chance on each step could be interesting.

There are NPC conversations that check for quest items, and like you said, without the item it chains to the next text event. Chains can get pretty complex as they grow, so the most important thing for me is that events fire when they are supposed to and nothing gets broken that could prevent the player's progress. I'm wary about revisiting chains that might introduce a bug.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:50:02 PM by Dorateen »
Hearkenwold

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
I'm enjoying your mod, Dorateen,  :D  but since most of my UA time is devoted to working on my own Sidekick Challenge mod, it may be some time before I finish yours and can give it a proper review. 

For the meantime, tho, I thought I could share this bit of advice on the topic of Pic art: 

I notice that many of your Pics are quite pixelated.  You might want to check out this UANL article "Vix's Image Help" by Vixen Kitty:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl21/artvix.htm

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »

I notice that many of your Pics are quite pixelated.  You might want to check out this UANL article "Vix's Image Help" by Vixen Kitty:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl21/artvix.htm

Hans, thank you very much, I appreciate it. As a matter of fact, steve_mcdee offered to help me out and did a tremendous effort smoothing out most of the pics. I'm going to be uploading an "improved" version of this module by the weekend that includes the less pixelated art and some more polish based on feedback I've received. In the future, I'm going to start working with Dan Autery's UA256 tool, to present the artwork better.
Hearkenwold

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
Thespar is starting to annoy me.
My party went to Khyn, and found both Father Barnabas and two guys plotting against Thespar.
Talking to Barnabas didn't result in much, neither forcing money out of him, not helping him with the money.

Getting back to Castle Hearkenwood Thespar, who usually is upstairs, immediately teleports down when the party tries to fondle his favourite torch. Going upstairs, we can't report on Barnabas. Instead we are forced to tell about the plot, which is very annoying.

Also, surprised to see the slave traders were immune to Stinking Cloud? Fortunately they were not immune to Hold Person and Backstab, though.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
That seems to be a characteristic of Thespar, being a thorn in the party's side. Regarding the plot, of course, you don't have to give him the correct information...

The slavers have some magic resistance, which will make the reliability of spells never a sure thing. In testing enemies like that, I found it can be exciting when you do successfully get off a spell such as Hold person. The sort of thing that turns the tide of battle.  Along with good old trusty Backstab. 
Hearkenwold

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 10:59:01 PM »
So we finally reached The Slaughtered Lamb, only to find out that Wrathack is a female and she's very angry because of something that happened it her childhood that made her disfigured.
No sign of her in the tavern or the surrounding outdoors area.
Nothing to say to Corwyn when returning to the Castle.
Looking in the editor it seems the only thing I missed was some info on her hating Clerics.

In the meantime I feel like I'm searching for the needle in the haystack.
And I avoid searching caves due to my Ranger not having anywhere to train. I figured Wrathack would be a possible trainer.

Offline hans

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »
...And I avoid searching caves due to my Ranger not having anywhere to train. I figured Wrathack would be a possible trainer.

Early on, when I didn't find a place to train Rangers, my Human Ranger changed classes to a Fighter.  I didn't need 2 Fighters, so my Human Fighter then changed classes to a Thief.  And I didn't need 2 Thieves, so my Human Thief changed classes to a Mage.  2 Mages I can use. 

I do rather like how some enemies have been given some level of magic resistance.  It's added an interesting spice to the combats.  AD&D purists may object, however.  It might've been a nice idea to have given some sorta in-game explanation/justification for that twist...

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 01:15:49 AM »
I think you can train rangers just N-E of the castle. The druid in the stone circle who tells you that he doesn't mind you killing animals in the area for food train rangers I think.

Offline Platinum Bearer

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 02:36:57 AM »
He does. I just trained mine.

I've got a strange mix of character levels. A L4 cleric is my highest and an L1 mage my weakest because she keeps getting knocked down.

It's opening up a bit now that I can win a few more fights.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 04:51:59 AM »
He does. I just trained mine.

Damned...I actually considered that guy, but he didn't offer training the two times I visitied him.

I've got a strange mix of character levels. A L4 cleric is my highest and an L1 mage my weakest because she keeps getting knocked down.

For me it's the mage that has most XP, since wisely staying out of melee combat, and my cleric constantly being knocked down.

anything