Poll

Of the four styles of character shown in the post below, which do you prefer?

Animated
3 (42.9%)
Animated Muscular
1 (14.3%)
Realistic
3 (42.9%)
Realistic Muscular
0 (0%)
Keep trying - don't much care for any of these
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Which character style do you prefer?  (Read 861 times)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Which character style do you prefer?
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »
Here are four styles of artwork I am thinking about using one of when I do some superero art. :D I would aprreciate some feedback as to which style is preferred.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Which character style do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
Something between "animated" and "muscular animated" would be my preference... probably closer to "animated".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »
Something between "animated" and "muscular animated" would be my preference... probably closer to "animated".

I can do Animated Slightly-Muscled. :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 08:48:06 PM »
I liked the look of "realistic," but "animated" wasn't bad.  The "muscular" options are a bit much, in my opinion.  I think Nol is right...it needs to fall somewhere between the two.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »
IMO, overly-muscled heroes have some bad side-effects.     

First, if the hero has a secret identity, that body will stand out like a sore thumb compared to the normal people he is trying to mix in with. 

Second, it forces an artist to make the villains even more outlandishly proportioned in order to make them look like a physical threat.     

Offline marainein

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:45:34 AM »
I have to dissent from the rest of the judges here and say I like the animated muscular one best. Super heroes should be, well, super. Superior. Superlative.

BTW, what tools do you use to make characters like that?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 03:38:49 AM »
I generally agree with Nol. It depends on the hero, also. For a hero with superhuman strength which is based on training or an effect that enhances the muscles should perhaps look extraordinarily muscular. I always wondered why Superman looks that muscular in most comics. Since his strength is caused by living on a different planet, he should perhaps rather look slender or unathletic (if he not spent his youth lifting mountains and running at supersonic speed several hours a day...).

Well, what about superheroines? For some reason, they seem to look all the same in numerous comics, whatever kind of power they have (just compare Hulk/She-Hulk). I would be interested in seeing how you depict them.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
For me I voted for realistic style. That means muscular if they are strong, and I guess that would be something in between of Realistic and Realistic Muscled on those pictures. I guess something like here http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110630182236/smallville/images/a/a9/Superman_vs_Darkseid.jpg

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »
Excellent and helpful comments, everyone. :)

I've chosen these four "representative" styles from looking at superhero artwork done in the 3D communities I'm involved with. And I have been keeping my personal opinion out of the thread so far. ;)

ProphetSword, I've been doing my characters in the realistic style, but purchase of new characters has lead me to broaden my horizons. :D

hans, your observations are dead-on. Remember Image comics in the 90s? The characters, by which I mean the male characters, were so muscle-bound that even their guns had muscles. They would have called Arnold in his prime, a skinny little geek. :D

Dinonykos, you raise another good point in regards to the female characters. I have both the ability and the prediliction to make physically strong female characters as muscular as they would be if they were male.

marainein: I used DAZ Studio to do these renders. The characters are all "dialed-in" meaning someone else created the look and I just used it. My only "real" work was in making the costume fit, as it was designed for a very different base figure.
When I do my own characters, I use ZBrush for modelling to use in either Poser or DAZ Studio. I do a lot of my own textures and maps, which I generally make in Paint Shop Pro 8, but occassioinally use PhotoShop and GIMP, depending on the tools I need.