Author Topic: A Bard's Tale adaptation to FRUA  (Read 2502 times)

Offline OutoftheBlue

A Bard's Tale adaptation to FRUA
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:12:11 AM »
Hello, I am working on "gold box" version of the 1985 game The Bard's Tale.  I used FRUA version 1.2 to create the scenario and FRUA98 to hack items.  I attached an incomplete version of the game that people can playtest if they wish.  Please don't put this version on other websites without my permission, I don't want people thinking they are getting a full game when what I have right now is a large demo.

I do have a couple of questions though:

How do I get the item hacks I made with FRUA98 to appear when other people play the module? It seems like any changes I make appear on all the game designs I have on FRUA, not just the one I worked on, so I don't think the information is saved with the design.

How can I hack class name so, say for instance "Thief" would appear as "Bard", "Ranger" as "Hunter",etc.?

There is a magic user scroll the gives random spells, is there a way to limit the spells levels given? (ie. only level 1-5 spells, instead of level 1-9 spells)  I can't even find this item when I used FRUA98 (although I found the non-random mage scrolls and was able to change them (to other non-random spells)).

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: A Bard's Tale adaptation to FRUA
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:54:22 AM »
It's been ages since I tinkered with FRUA98, so in that regard hopefully someone else will chime in and help you, but as far as hacking is concerned - I don't see any mention of UAShell in your post. If you haven't done so yet, the first thing before applying hacks should be to install UAShell. To do so, check out Nol's Installation Guide for FRUA Newbie and follow the steps in the code window about manual installation.

UAShell is a tool that makes a backup copy of your virgin FRUA installation and then stores all hacks you apply to it in your module folder, so that when someone else uses UAShell to load your module, the hacks are automatically applied to their copy of FRUA by copying and pasting the relevant files to their FRUA folder. It also allows you and your players to easily switch to the backuped virgin version or different hacked modules whenever you want to, without overwriting anything permanently. So this shell is an absolute must if you want to create, share and play hacked modules.

Be aware though, that if you install UAShell on top of your currently hacked version of FRUA, this hacked version will become the base for everything else and possibly mess up things, so you'd better start with a clean installation of FRUA and only go back to hacking once UAShell is installed. Keep a backup of your hacked version though, someone else here might be able to help you transfer the changes you made to it to your UAShell module folder afterwards, so that you won't lose all your work.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
As stated above, you should start with a clean installation of FRUA with UAShell applied over the top as a "shell".

When you make changes to the game by hacking CKIT.EXE, you should then create a DIFF.TBL file which contains the differences between your CKIT.EXE and the default one.

Here's the program I use to create a DIFF.TBL (it requires Java on your computer):
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2675.msg37054#msg37054

Each time you "Apply" a design with UAShell, it implements those changes to the default design.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 02:53:14 PM »
I don't know much about it all but I am interested in Bard's Tale FRUA version. Never played it for real :) though I played it a bit but had a bugged version on Apple 2e long time ago :/

Offline OutoftheBlue

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:58:06 AM »
Hi, I am familiarizing myself with uashell right now, thanks for letting me know about it, Oliver.  Note that if you do play the demo verision I put up the economy in the game won't work like I expected (I increased item values, a good portion of your money can come from selling enemies' gear, so getting money from training might be kind of hard).

I don't know much about it all but I am interested in Bard's Tale FRUA version. Never played it for real :) though I played it a bit but had a bugged version on Apple 2e long time ago :/

You can find the IBM version floating around on the net.  Its 30 years old, so I feel its abandonware, although EA may be a different idea.  Really, I think its the best game of the series and one of the best games of that era.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:24:27 PM »
I also think that it is a very good game, I feel bad that I missed it when it was popular. Right now I am trying to play FRUA modules, there is lot of much better games that I wish to play and don't have time for it :) like adaptation of TSR 2e modules. I was thinking about playing Bard's Tale, but probably it would be hard now.

I am mosly now interested in Ad&d games like FRUA and DC modules, eventualy Baldur's Gate and alike, and developing my own system. If Bard's Tale would come to FRUA I probably might try to investigate it more and even play original games eventualy. Anyway for now, my own system first then Ad&d most of the time :) though as I said I am trying to play similar RPG games and learn from them too.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:13:26 AM »
Fighting 396 Berserkers in FRUA should be interesting...

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
"In tales of the unknown, there is a location with a fixed battle of 4 x 99 berserkers (1,018,880 XP) on the third floor of Baron Harkyn's Castle. This battle has the highest xp gained in a single fight."
- http://bardstale.wikia.com/wiki/Experience

With a maximum of 50 monsters per battle, you will need to convert this to 4 x 50 + 4 x 49 Berserkers.

In Judge's Guild #1 - The Caverns of Thracia there is a battle against 400 skeletons.
- http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2000.msg27250#msg27250

Offline OutoftheBlue

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 10:04:50 PM »
I'm not being quite that literal in my translation, there will be a large berserker fight, but I think most players would want to (justifiably) beat me senseless if I threw 8 waves ~50 berserkers at them.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 09:04:59 AM »
I totally understand the decisions that have to be made when doing a conversion. 100% accuracy is not always the goal. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind getting those 1 million XP.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 07:59:10 PM »
Not sure if you're still at this (though I'd love to see a cross-system conversion!), but an option would be to have aggregate monsters. Duplicate a fighter icon and put it side by side enough to fill a 2x2 icon, then have lots of those guys. The '10 Berserkers' have 10 times the hitpoints of one and attack 10 times. You can actually do it all in one fight then. ;)

The magic system will bear some thought, as you only have 2 spellcasting classes rather than 4. (3 if you hack the Ranger heavily.)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:40 AM »
I'm not being quite that literal in my translation, there will be a large berserker fight, but I think most players would want to (justifiably) beat me senseless if I threw 8 waves ~50 berserkers at them.

Yeah, waves of identical encounter get boring real fast. But one huge mother of all encounters could be interesting.

Offline OutoftheBlue

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 01:39:19 AM »
After a couple months hiatus, I am back to working on this adaptation.  Right now I'm working on Harkyn's Castle and Ky's Tower.  Hopefully I'll finish all the dungeons before the world's end.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 03:50:51 AM »
You can find the IBM version floating around on the net.  Its 30 years old, so I feel its abandonware, although EA may be a different idea.  Really, I think its the best game of the series and one of the best games of that era.

Sidenote: On GOG, you can buy a game called "Bard's Tale" (seems to be more of a hommage than a remake) which according to GOG includes the original Bard's Tales 1-3.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline chaney

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 08:38:36 PM »
There was a game out several years ago, that can still be had, called Devil's whiskey.  There was a free player made mod (Credit to Origen) of Bard's Tale I done with that game creator, that was just a whole lot of fun.   If you haven't tried it, it is worth the price of the game for this player mod, plus another freebie player mod called Tales of the North, that I thought was actually better than the game itself.