Author Topic: Ghostbusters RPG  (Read 685 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Ghostbusters RPG
« on: June 13, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »
As a fan of Ghostbusters, and with rumors swirling of a new movie coming soon, I thought I would open a discussion about the RPG that came out in the 1980s from West End Games. I've still got mine, though the box it came in has long since bit the dust.  Books are in great shape, though.

Just curious if anyone else ever played it?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Ghostbusters RPG
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:08:55 PM »
I played it.

Sadly my books did not survive multiple moves. All my GB, Paranoia, James Bond 007, Top Secret, TimeMaster, and a few other RPGs got wet and insect infested in storage. Sad drow. :(

I had the box set and a few expansion books and modules. Its been so long I cannot recall the mechanics of the game, but I do recall several funny game instances.

One memory is of an adventure where garbage cans become animated. One of the garboids swallowed the McGuffin and a 'buster reached in its mouth to retrieve it. I told him he grasped something soft, wet, and wriggling. He trid to pull it out. It wouldn't budge. He kept trying and the garboid kept mumbling, louder and louder, "Nwet gho'un maton." After a few minutes of this, the GB let go and asked the garboid what it was saying, "I said, Let go of my tongue!" Hilarity ensued. This is what passed for high brow humor to 13-year-olds.

The garboid became that GB franchise's Slimer. They named him Rusty.

Before West End came out with the GB RPG, a friend and I were working on one based on a heavily modified version of the Top Secret rules. This was before home computer were common,. so we had reams of legal pads and notebook paper filled with ideas, rules, ghosts, etc. No idea what happened to those papers. Drow sigh :(

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
While I still have my Ghostbusters books, I did lose all my Paranoia stuff, so I feel your pain there.

Ghostbusters used a D6 system similar to that used the West End Star Wars games of the 80s-90s.  It was a little more simple, though, but it worked.  There was an additional die called the "Ghost Die" that a player rolled that could make bad things happen.

Even though I still have my books, I probably haven't actually played the game since the late 1980s.  To give you an idea of how long ago it's been since I played, Ghostbuster II hadn't even been released yet...

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »
Oooooh, yeah.

You had a set of stats and skills you combined points from to roll dice, adding up to beat a GM set number. The ghost die had the GB symbol in place of, I think, the six. Bad juju to roll that, good juju for bad guys. I also remember the brownie points where you could add dice or something.

I liked d6 games. Playing one called Atomic Highway now (free on RPGNow). It's a Mad Max inspired post-apocalyptic setting. We're playing it more unknown disease wiped out most of humanity, less wastelands, cars battles, or mutations.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
I made my own post-apocalyptic game using the multi-genre D6 System as well as GURPs.  But, I will check out the one you mentioned.  Thanks for cluing me in on that one.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
This is what passed for high brow humor to 13-year-olds.

Don't worry too much, I think that was the whole point of the game. It was supposed to be silly. ;)