Author Topic: AT1: Dark Alliances: Bank?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline clinton

AT1: Dark Alliances: Bank?
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:04 AM »
Just wondering if there's a bank somewhere around in this module. All this stuff/money is getting heavy.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: AT1: Dark Alliances: Bank?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
There isn't a vault in the game.  This was done on purpose.  Items stored in this game can not be carried into the sequel via vaults (and that will become evident when you reach the end, if you haven't already), so no vault was included.  It's not a design decision that everyone agreed with, but like the other changes in the game (like diminished cleric spells), there was a good reason for it when the game was made.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Is there anyone who sells arrows in the city? The weapons shop sells short bows but no arrows?

It's possible you can't buy arrows for balance reasons, so I was just wondering.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:19:32 AM »
I just looked at the module.  Sure enough, there's no place to buy arrows.  It's hard to know why that decision was made after all these years, but it might have been made to reflect how poor the city is supposed to be at that point.  It's not necessarily a great design decision, given that arrows aren't that expensive and are fairly common.

If you know how to alter the module, I would simply add them to the shop in town.  I can't imagine it would "break the balance" of the game in any way.

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »
Yeah that just seemed a bit odd to see them missing. And yeah, I can add them with the editor. I just wasn't sure if there was a reason for that. Thanks!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
In my mind, there's no reason for there not to be arrows.  It was probably an oversight that the original playtesters didn't notice or point out (or if they did, I never fixed it).  I can't think of any plot or mechanical reason why they don't appear, but I don't promise to remember everything that happened before the turn of the century.  ;D

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »
So you did this module ProphetSword? This is a really fun and enjoyable and very well polished mod.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »
Yes.  I thought you knew that already, so sorry for the assumption on my part.

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
I have found 2 bugs in this so far, would you like me to list the exact map and locations of them?

1 is a placed combat encounter where combat will never resolve because the creatures south are stuck in a building. (I just used the ditor and changed the direction and it then worked fine).
And in Zentil Keep there is a Quest event that seems to probably have been placed there as a test and then was meant to be deleted later.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
If you can let me know more details about where these are located, I can probably fix these bugs.

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »
Dungeon 35 4, 19 Combat is set to N,E,S. Monsters will be stuck in the south building that has no access. Setting it to N,E worked just fine for me.

Dungeon 13 8, 16 There is a default Quest Event here. I don't think it is supposed to be here?

Dungeon 1 9,0 Combat is set to N,W,S. Monsters will be stuck in a room to the North. Setting it to W,S worked.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:12:57 AM by Jaesun »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:55:56 PM »
Okay, I took a look at each one of these.  Fixing them was easy enough, so I'll probably upload an updated version later this week.  Here's what I found out:

Dungeon 35 4, 19 Combat is set to N,E,S. Monsters will be stuck in the south building that has no access. Setting it to N,E worked just fine for me.

This is one I don't understand.  The areas south should have been clear enough to put in monsters.  It's likely I set them too far away or FRUA just didn't know how to configure them.  I have set the combat to "In Front" so that the undead attack as a unified force.  It makes more sense that way according to the text anyway.

Dungeon 13 8, 16 There is a default Quest Event here. I don't think it is supposed to be here?

How that got there, I have no idea.  The fact that this is the first time anyone's told me about it after all these years means that people either ignored it or never encountered it. 

It could, in fact, be linked to a bug that breaks the game that I was never able to track down.  The fact that you're seeing it means that you already possessed Quest 2; because that was set to step 2 of that quest.  Weird. 

Dungeon 1 9,0 Combat is set to N,W,S. Monsters will be stuck in a room to the North. Setting it to W,S worked.

This one is just a bonehead mistake.  I should have caught this one during testing.

Thanks.  Let me know if you find anything else.

anything