Poll

Which describes your UA use?

I play UA with UAShell to apply "hacked" mods.
18 (85.7%)
I play UA by itself and never play "hacked" mods.
0 (0%)
I no longer play UA.
2 (9.5%)
I have never played UA.
1 (4.8%)
I don't really know what UA is (I'm new).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 26, 2014, 10:07:40 AM

Author Topic: Are you playing UA or not? (Please participate)  (Read 10135 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Are you playing UA or not? (Please participate)
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »
Or maybe the fault is with the various license owners who prevent UA from being legally available again and therefor open to a wider audience (including all categories of players mentioned above and several others) ... :P

Which is why DC is a good choice for those looking to continue creating games in the UA style.  It's an untamed frontier right now.  There are probably only a handful of DC modules made at this point.  Even if an author did nothing more than update their own UA modules to DC, they would probably find an audience eager to play them.  Just saying.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »
The third is people who love the gold-box games.  They want to continue that enjoyment, so they come and play a few modules.  But, if they are unlucky enough to pick from the low-grade modules a few times in a row, this quickly destroys their enthusiasm...

With this type of seeker in mind, perhaps it might be a worthwhile effort to create a list (perhaps a top ten) of the best GoldBox-style mods in our libraries, which could then be made a sticky.  Evaluations might rely on reviews, and maybe other forum inputs, from discussion threads to Polls.  A capsule synopsis, or short review comments could accompany the listings, giving prospective players a little more information on which to find their cup of tea. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:56:52 PM by hans »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
That actualy is a good idea, Top 10 and maybe few good for starting with FRUA. Anyway lately i hate can't factor with FRUA/DC, wish i know things and how to do them.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
With this type of seeker in mind, perhaps it might be a worthwhile effort to create a list (perhaps a top ten) of the best GoldBox-style mods in our libraries, which could then be made a sticky.  Evaluations might rely on reviews, and maybe other forum inputs, from discussion threads to Polls.  A capsule synopsis, or short review comments could accompany the listings, giving prospective players a little more information on which to find their cup of tea.

As I mentioned in this description, these might be people who aren't reading or joining the forums.  So, they may not be looking at lists of any kind.  They might just be downloading six modules at random, playing them, and deciding that if they're terrible...it must be true for all of them.

I'm not sure who is maintaining the FTP, but they could maybe create a directory near the top that's called "Hall of Fame Modules," or something and the community could vote which modules would appear there (I assume they would also appear in the usual place as well).

Another thing we could do (and this would be quite the task) is start rewriting or fixing some old modules.  If module authors have abandoned their work for 15+ years, I seriously doubt they'll care if someone fixes them...or maybe even embellishes them a little.  Of course, I can see the value of preserving history too...

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:12 AM »
I'm not sure who is maintaining the FTP, but they could maybe create a directory near the top that's called "Hall of Fame Modules," or something and the community could vote which modules would appear there (I assume they would also appear in the usual place as well).

This reminded me of Mycroft's Module List, which compiled reviews and used a ranking on a scale of 1-10. It was maintained by John Viveiros until 12/31/98. The module list on frua.rosedragon.org is much more complete and up to date, but no longer gives modules rankings.

I thought it would be a shame if Mycroft's Module List was lost forever. It took some digging around, but I found it here:

http://web.archive.org/web/19991007161348/http://pages.prodigy.net/jjv4/

http://web.archive.org/web/19990428125912/http://pages.prodigy.net/jjv4/mycrofth.htm

I imagine this might be a place to start for "UA Hall of Fame Modules", at least ones that are more than 15 years old.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 03:51:58 AM »
I continue to maintain http://frua.rosedragon.org/ and the FTP site. Should such a list of Hall of Fame modules be provided, I'm willing to build out the web page and have it hosted there too.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »
Well that is interesting list, thanks for posting it

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 06:56:03 AM »
I continue to maintain http://frua.rosedragon.org/ and the FTP site. Should such a list of Hall of Fame modules be provided, I'm willing to build out the web page and have it hosted there too.

That would be awesome.  And probably a step in the right direction.

Offline hans

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
...I imagine this might be a place to start for "UA Hall of Fame Modules", at least ones that are more than 15 years old.

As proposed, the purpose of this particular list would be to recommend what our community considers the best of the best mods done in the GoldBox style (for fans of the GoldBoxes whose initial interest in UA will be to continue a similar gameplay experience.)  Part of the job in comprising such a list would then be to sort out which well-reviewed mods are truly GoldBox in nature. 

One of the best received mods ever has been The Sect by Ben Jockisch.  And while it is truly epic, it is much more humorous than any of the GoldBoxes.  For that reason, its inclusion in such a list would be a matter for debate. 

I had Ben Sanderfer's AT1: Dark Alliances at the top spot in My Top Ten Favorite Mods list (http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl35/pp_topten.htm), and it is undeniably a terrific mod that very much in the GoldBox style.  However, it does not conclude like the GoldBoxes, since it the story was to be continued in AT2.  I can't see this as reason to deny it a place on such a list, but it would surely require an asterix, or note of explanation. 

So, pros and cons of the various candidates for such a list would need to be weighed, somehow, among our group.  Naturally, Mycroft's Module List can provide some valuable assistance.  Thanks, Nol!   :)   

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I haven't played enough FRUA modules to get an overview of which are the best modules, but so far I'd recommend the following for someone who wants good modules in the Gold Box style:

Paladin 1: The Restoration of Gundahab and Paladin 2: The League by Rhys Hess
City of Gold by Craig Schaefer
Quest for the Diamond Blade by Morgan1522
Magic of the Savage Frontier by Dominus Aurorae
Night of the Basilisk by Ben Sanderfer

Ben's early modules (Road to Armageddon, Marauder of Triangle Bay, Shadows in the Sky) are also good Gold Box style modules, but need to be updated so Guided Tour events work, and there were some balance issues. See my reviews for more details.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:18:14 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »
Another thing we could do (and this would be quite the task) is start rewriting or fixing some old modules.  If module authors have abandoned their work for 15+ years, I seriously doubt they'll care if someone fixes them...or maybe even embellishes them a little.  Of course, I can see the value of preserving history too...

Well, they don't need to be overwritten.
I've edited some old Age of Wonders 2 maps myself, and posted the map as a new file.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 05:18:30 AM »

I've done that in the past for three old designs I found worthwhile, and I believe we also had a short discussion on how to do it back then, which resulted in the Patch folder you can find at the Magic Mirror, meaning I left the original designs untouched but provided "patch" files that would override the originals when copied in the game's folder. That seemed like the most ethical or respectful choice back then, but of course it's not very user-friendly with regard to people who don't know anything about UA and its community and just download random files, since the patch folder is a bit hidden.

As a sidenote, I have good memories of that patching experience because I really liked the designs I fixed, and to my (and their) surprise, I actually managed to track down two of the three authors even though they had nothing to do with UA anymore, and they were very flattered and IIRC even gave their permission to update their old designs (although I still went with the patch idea).

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 07:08:06 AM »
I've done that in the past for three old designs I found worthwhile, and I believe we also had a short discussion on how to do it back then, which resulted in the Patch folder you can find at the Magic Mirror, meaning I left the original designs untouched but provided "patch" files that would override the originals when copied in the game's folder. That seemed like the most ethical or respectful choice back then, but of course it's not very user-friendly with regard to people who don't know anything about UA and its community and just download random files, since the patch folder is a bit hidden.

As a sidenote, I have good memories of that patching experience because I really liked the designs I fixed, and to my (and their) surprise, I actually managed to track down two of the three authors even though they had nothing to do with UA anymore, and they were very flattered and IIRC even gave their permission to update their old designs (although I still went with the patch idea).

It might have been better to upload them as full modules with a slightly different name, then; because, even as a long time member of the community, I didn't know about the patches and never would have sought them out.  I'm probably not the only one.  However, if there had been an actual module upload (with a slight name change indicating it was an updated version), I might have noticed.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »

It might have been better to upload them as full modules with a slightly different name, then; because, even as a long time member of the community, I didn't know about the patches and never would have sought them out.  I'm probably not the only one.  However, if there had been an actual module upload (with a slight name change indicating it was an updated version), I might have noticed.

Same here.
I can't even find a link to the "Magic Mirror".

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
The full archive:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/

A mirror of above's files:
http://frua.reonis.com/dir.htm

anything