Night of the Basilisk - Remake
0 (0%)
Night of the Basilisk - Enhanced
2 (16.7%)
Night of the Basilisk - Updated
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 02, 2013, 09:37:03 PM

Author Topic: Night of the Basilisk - Remix  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Bart Jackson

Re: Night of the Basilisk - Remix
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
I'm looking for the sequel.  Did that ever get released?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
All the way back in 1995 or 1996, the sequel was in the works.  However, my old rickety computer had a hard drive crash.  I lost everything.  Thought I had it backed up, but couldn't find it.  I got really discouraged and moved on to another project (something called "AT1: Dark Alliances."  By a strange coincidence, the sequel to that game was also lost in the same way...even though I was sure I had backed it up on a CD...but I never have found it).  Nothing kills a trilogy of modules faster than losing half a modules worth of work in the middle of it.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
I had asked about the sequel too and the same answer.  Unfortunate.  I never really maxed characters out and/or set the game to the lowest setting.  I do re-roll though to get the primary stat(s) to 17 or 18. 

I vote for the 2013 in the title.  Most remixes, IMHO suck.

FBN - Jeff

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
One vote for Remix and one for 2013...maybe I'll set up a poll...

EDIT:
I did.  Be sure to vote!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:38:03 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »
Wow looks very interesting. I voted for enhanced and it wioll be on my list of soon to play modules.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 02:31:24 AM »
I voted for update. Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has given "enhanced" a bad name, and the Realms of Arkania remake released as a pre-alpha has done even worse for "remake".
EDIT: and can you even technically call it a remake if it uses the same engine?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:00:47 AM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 04:55:26 AM »
Just completed the rest of the tower.

I felt that the Red Wizard in the last fight should have been higher level.
Also the Green Dragon ally is way too overpowered IMO. Make it a young dragon instead.
The "boss fight" was a bit underwhelming, even if disregarding the dragon. Maybe throw in some Night Mask and Fire Knife leaders?

I had to laught out loud when Galen left the party and starting hugging them, considering what I wrote about Treasures of the Savage Frontier over at the RPG Codex:
I find the amount of hugging in Treasures of the Savage Frontier rather nauseating...
The only hugging in a Gold Box game should be from an Owlbear!

After my characters climb out of the cavern under Waterdeep, this is the reaction of the "Heroes of Ascore":
"Everyone hugs each other in happiness of completing such difficult and dangerous an escape!".

And after the group hugging the message you get when exiting the way from the Temple into the city suddenly turned funny:
"The feelings of discomfort suddenly vanish."  ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: minor nitpick: an enemy cleric uses a Wand of Fireball on the party, but clerics are "wrong class" for most wands, including Fireball.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:00:56 AM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 07:13:19 AM »
I voted for "Remix" because I thought it stands out the most and is clearly distinctive from the original title, reducing any confusion about which version is which.

To recognize "2013" as the more recent version, you'd need to know when the original was released (well, not us now, but for someone new in the future it might cause confusion). "Remake" is not really fitting. "Enhanced" is a value judgement which might not be shared by all players. And "Updated" sounds kind of boring to me. (Just to explain my reasoning.)

Of course, I'm not ruling out the possibility that the title of this thread might have had some influence on my decision, too.  ;)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »
I felt that the Red Wizard in the last fight should have been higher level.
Also the Green Dragon ally is way too overpowered IMO. Make it a young dragon instead.
The "boss fight" was a bit underwhelming, even if disregarding the dragon. Maybe throw in some Night Mask and Fire Knife leaders?

I've tweaked this battle.  The wizard is much higher level and the dragon much lower.

I didn't add any leaders, though; because the fight is no longer trivial with the mage being higher level.  The dragon makes it easier (which was the point), but players may not discover him as they search the tower, and that makes the fight even tougher.

I had to laught out loud when Galen left the party and starting hugging them, considering what I wrote about Treasures of the Savage Frontier over at the RPG Codex:
I find the amount of hugging in Treasures of the Savage Frontier rather nauseating...
The only hugging in a Gold Box game should be from an Owlbear!

I feel the need to leave this in just to annoy you!   ;D

EDIT: minor nitpick: an enemy cleric uses a Wand of Fireball on the party, but clerics are "wrong class" for most wands, including Fireball.

Do you know where this occurs?

EDIT:
Also, I went back and checked on one of your previous comments, where you said the statue of Loviatar no longer shows up in the temple.  Apparently, it never did, even in the original module.  No picture was ever assigned there, and I assume that was the intention.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:31:50 AM by ProphetSword »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
I must have misremembered about the picture of that stature. Sorry about that.

The cleric with the wand is a Damage event at 16, 10 in Dungeon 4.

I have now finished the module, and overall I thought it was excellent.
It was a bit too easy now, though. But I prefer a bit easy to so hard that you need to minmax, meta game and grind.

Random encounters were very few, which is good, and they seemed to be truly random as well too. No idea how you managed to pull that randomness off.

My main critisism is that overall the encounters tended to be a bit samey; I got tired of fighting Night Mask grunts, War Dog and Pets. I would have liked to see some higher level Night Mask leaders in their lair, for example.

Loved the goblin/owlbear war and the illusionary treasure. And some of my guys got a proper hug after all.  ;)

Some specific things I noticed:

War Dog cages in Dungeon 7, around 11,7 are locked from both sides despite Night Masks having just released dogs from the cages.

There are still Potions of Giant Strength in the shop in some versions of the Westgate map. Noticed it when returning from the Night Masks' lair.

In Dungeon 9, the Dohstar House the text at 3,1 could be better.
"A large bed at one of the room is unmade. Satin sheets lie strewn about the floor and collecting dust."
First sentence misses the word "corner". Second sentence would have been better without the "and".

Gherrin was the hardest fight for me. He had more Mirror Images than Jon Irenicus, Prot Normal Missiles and either magic resistance or a Globe. But casting Silence on one of my own guys and backstabbing him did the trick.

Tamara Beldon seemed rather poorly equipped for her level and considering the items quality of the items she gifted to the party.

I loved the last two "boss fights", first against the Fighter/Mage with the elementals and then against Karina and the Waves her chums. She was less protected than Gherrin, though, so she was easier to kill.
Ever since playing Baldur's Gate I've always loved those battles against other groups of mercs/adventurers. Too bad there's so little room in FRUA to tweak the AI and give the characters more personality, though.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I will probably tweak all of these things, then.  After that, I'll see if I can get someone else to run through it (if you want to run it again, let me know).

Also, thanks for the harsh feedback in the review.  Seems you had an experience similar to the one I had with "The Sect," where I really wanted to love the module, but the ridiculously overpowered combats pretty much killed it for me (and I played that game eight different times before throwing in the towel).

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:38 PM »
That might be me. I hope to play it soon.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
More recent changes:

* Added some ambient life to the tavern.
* Added some ambient life to Westgate.
* Added some new artwork.
* Changed the artwork for a few characters.
* Added a new map to account for some additional text.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
Hm Westgate, this actualy might be my next adventure :) I hae started something already and had made very detailed characters (not finished yet though if i remember correctly) and i just might start that one with those very detailed guys :)

Offline chaney

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
Definitely looking forward to it. 

anything