Author Topic: BR-UA: Buck Rogers Unlimited Adventures 2013  (Read 2959 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
BR-UA: Buck Rogers Unlimited Adventures 2013
« on: July 14, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Thanks to Goldbox Explorer we are now able to get all the art from both Buck Rogers computer games, including complete wallsets and sprite sets. The purpose of the BR-UA (not to be confused with BRUA), is to set up a game design as close to BR as FRUA can make, using ALL the BR art. Here is the best I can do in that regard. A short module using some images and wallsets is included. Here are some screenshots.

Offline GoldBoxFan

Re: BR-UA: Buck Rogers Unlimited Adventures 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
The above images made me realize there was a mistake. Tinkers are only supposed to be medics and engineers. Desert Runners only Warriors, Rocket Jocks or engineers. Here is a patch changing the always and diff files to fix it.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »
Do we have an already extracted set of BR art?

Might take a whack at VGA'ing them like I did with the FRUA stuff.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
Do we have an already extracted set of BR art?

Might take a whack at VGA'ing them like I did with the FRUA stuff.

That's something I would love to see.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:23:37 AM »
Wow looks nice :) BR is new for me i hope i will be playing it soon.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:17:05 PM »
I thought they were VGA already. Almost got the ones with 70 or more colors to match. One wall had 1 color off.

Forgot address: http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/b/br-ua.zip

Just uploaded v1.03 with race and class statistics, player icon defaults. Fixed a few monster files with wrong races. Traded venusian and desert runner races so icons would give correct pcs. All but tinker and mercurian medic icons are correct. Engineers are using wisdom for technology since intelligence is also needed.

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
I thought they were VGA already.

Yes, but rather mildly VGA.  The first Buck game, at least (IIRC), could be played in EGA with often nothing much different but certain hues. 

Vix's wonderful revamps of UA's default pix demonstrate how well she can improve on the work of SSI's original artists. 

BTW, I trust that you'll fill up the Cbody all the way.  Even small changes (like different hair coloring) to fill up the empties would be better than blank spaces.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »
BTW, I trust that you'll fill up the Cbody all the way.  Even small changes (like different hair coloring) to fill up the empties would be better than blank spaces.
The original FRUA BR cbody has different coloring as seen in the image below. I used the BR originals. Unfortunately my versions were made with a version of goldbox explorer which didn't have all the colors figured out and some places have black. I just noticed that today. I'll fix them and get the pics, sprites and combat icon mess sorted out.

I will leave the original cbody in, but make a second alternate one with the last 13 filled in by killer kane, buck rogers, dr. malcoln, zane, tuskon, leander, sid refuge, warrior, neo soldier, terrine warrior, desert runner, lowlander and pirate or purge commando.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:18:50 PM by GoldBoxFan »

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:32:43 PM »
It appears I forgot to update my wilderness and dungeon tlbs, and they were messing up the cbody. Here are the corrected files and both cbodys. Cbody2 has 49 icons.

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »
Cool!   :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the link, i will try it as soon as i get some free time :) it looks very good i have to say :) and Buck Roger is new for me. I will have to prepare for it too :)

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
I just uploaded version 1.04 with the fixes above. Also I got the sprites, pics and combat icons straightened out. I also had to redo the images in the module and added an event which tells you the design is over.

Deel free to make any changes you want. I don't know how to change anything else.  ;)

Offline hans

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:21 PM »
There's a lot of wonderful art in your demo mod (even tho most, of course, is not used in the mini-gameplay).   :D

I much prefer the Font that Ben Sanderfer used in his "GHOST IN THE MACHINE" (Buck.zip) unfinished BR mod, tho. 

Other than that, I was only a bit disappointed in how few new Combat Dungeons there were.  As there were so many wonderful Wallsets, I expected to see at least 5 different Combat Dungeons. 

If I were to ever swipe any of these Walls to use in a future SHUA mod, or an SF mod of my own, I expect I would want to have a matching Combat Dungeon, and if I needed to, I'd create my own.   ;)

If other authors should feel that need on one of their projects, but are intimidated about creating such art, Suzanne M. Ferree wrote a couple of UANL articles on creating Combat Dungeons, some years ago:
"Combat Dungeon Drawing"
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl22/art03.htm
"DUNGEON PASTING"
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl26/art.htm

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:15:54 PM by hans »