6 (33.3%)
Playing community-designed adventures
2 (11.1%)
Nostalgia
0 (0%)
Other (please comment)
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Favorite attribute of FRUA?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Bart Jackson

Favorite attribute of FRUA?
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:47:19 AM »
I'd like to hear why, after soooo many years, people still play FRUA.

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Favorite attribute of FRUA?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:22:26 AM »
My favorite attributes of FRUA are in this order:
1. really good adventures, mostly Ad&d that i can play
2. somehow very interactive gaming style (meaning there are pictures and text and combat and view of places and things like that)
3. it is very close to role playing and i think it just helps with Ad&d RP-ing
4. and of course designing adventures is a great thing too :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:27:25 AM by Rainbower »

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
I voted for design my own adventures, but if I could've voted for more than one, I would've added turn-based combat

I love that UA is so flexible (& hackable) that I can design mods of any genre I choose.  The combat system is one of my favorite types, as well. 

The inherent limitations of VGA graphics, midi music, and size are actually beneficial to someone, like myself, who tends to redo everything.  It takes me ages to complete a mod, as it is.   :P 

Moreover, the ingenuity and helpfulness of our community is in a league of its own.
 :hello2:

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:56:07 PM »
Other - Easy to use.

1st Ed AD&D and turn-based combat were factors, but if it was as much of a pig as 'Adventure Construction Set' (Amiga), or 'Bard's Tale Construction Set' I'd never have bothered with it.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
I had some trouble deciding between Design My Own Adventures and Playing Community-Designed Adventures, because basically I like FRUA because it allows everyone to design their own adventures. I like creating my own ones, too, but if I'm being honest, I haven't messed around with the editor for quite some time now and just doing my own stuff without checking out that of others would be boring, so I went with Playing Community-Designed Adventures, because the sharing aspect of such game editors is what I like most of all (diving into other people's imagination, including but not limited to sharing my own with them).

I kind of like D&D, I guess, and I like FRUA's gameplay but for me it it isn't so much about what kind of game it is, but more about the creativity it allows for. I like Dungeon Craft, Neverwinter Nights, AGS, Driftmoon and a few other powerful but accessible "game creators" for the same reasons.

Of course, perhaps an equally important reason why I'm still here is that the community is so nice, friendly and composed of interesting individuals.  :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »
I like the community here too, and it does make playing FRUA much better.

Offline sunwukong

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:28:54 AM »
Turn based play was my choice. However, I would like to design my own FRUA game in the future. I have an idea for a game I just have to figure out how to design in FRUA.

A port of FRUA to android/iOS would be cool (you can make it touch screen etc. and no DOS emulator needed). If that could happen I think it would introduce the game to a new generation of players and bring back ones that use to play FRUA years ago :P

There is an iOS game called The Quest which reminds me of a goldbox game (minus the turn base. the fights are more like EotB) Lots of people play that game (as evidence by its forum accessible in the game) and those quest players may like an Updated tablet/mobile phone version of FRUA.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:24:43 AM »
Given only one choice, I had to go with "Design my own adventures," though the fact that it's "Design my own adventures in Gold-Box style" that really appeals to me...because there are many other ways to design RPGs in the modern world (NWN, NWN2, RPG Maker, etc).  But, that's not the only reason.  Is it appropriate to say "all of the above?"
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
I guess so :icon_thumright:

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
I can't make 3-D monsters in NWN 1 or 2, but can make 2-D monsters in FRUA. It's for the artwork.

anything