Author Topic: FRUA: Neverwinter Nights Offline Questions  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Draugr

FRUA: Neverwinter Nights Offline Questions
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
Hi everyone.

I've been a silent member on the UA mailing list from pretty much the early days. I used to play FRUA a lot back in the day and have fired it up over the years every so often. Last night I saw mention of the AOL NWN game recreated in FRUA and I dug out DOSbox, and got to work. I'm not very experienced with UASHELL, but I believe I have the basics down. Anyhow, I've noticed a few things that might be A) Just the way it is, B) a bug, or C) Something happening because I didn't complete or run the UASHELL program properly. I'm hoping someone might be able to answer these questions. :)

OK, at the main screen where you can select an adventure, the gold frames don't go all the way to the bottom of the screen. Where you can choose the many options such as Play a Game, Select a Design, Quit Game ,etc... Is this normal?

Next, when making my characters, the part where you name your character is blank/empty where it asks you to enter a name. I guessed and just typed blindly and then saw that the name I typed was taken by the game properly. Is this normal?

I ram UASHELL and it said I successfully applied the hacks to the module. Everything else so far looks good.

I'm probably missing a step, or this is how it is supposed to look due to limitations of the programs. If anyone can answer my questions and let me know if I did something wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
John

PS: Since its been many years, let me ask this. Is there a way to make stand alone modules without the need of the entire FRUA being launched first? I'm thinking no, but wanted to ask to be sure. :)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: FRUA: Neverwinter Nights Offline Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
Welcome and good to see you. I just applied the hack and everything is like on your screens. It is probably some mistake with hack, though i can't say much as i don't have much experience with FRUA mod and hack making, and just for info it seems before i played without that hack :). For mod making i don't think there is a way to make modules without first loading FRUA as far as I know. Also there is a small program called area-on that lets you see map even it is not allowed by the game which can be very helpful.

That is what i know i hope some more experienced moders will try and answer this too.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
I can't address the first part, so I will attempt to address the second part.  I don't promise that what I'm telling you is correct, though.  It's just based on my experience.  The person who created the hack would have the definitive answers:

Next, when making my characters, the part where you name your character is blank/empty where it asks you to enter a name. I guessed and just typed blindly and then saw that the name I typed was taken by the game properly. Is this normal?

This tends to happen when the color palette has been changed.  The letters are there, they are just black, and since the background is also black, you can't see them.  The interesting thing is that this only seems to affect this screen and not any others.

An oddity about UA is that while the startup sequence is occurring, you can skip through it in three ways:  Click your mouse button, pushing the space bar or pressing enter or escape (I actually don't remember off the top of my head which it is, but someone will set me straight).  You may ask why this is important.  It's important because depending on which method you used to bypass the intro, this color oddity may or may not occur because UA will load a slightly different palette (I don't know why, it's just what I remember someone uncovered at one point).

So, you might try running it again and bypassing the intro in a different way and seeing if that changes anything.

PS: Since its been many years, let me ask this. Is there a way to make stand alone modules without the need of the entire FRUA being launched first? I'm thinking no, but wanted to ask to be sure. :)

You are correct.  With FRUA, you cannot make stand-alone games.  With Dungeon Craft, you can.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:10 AM »
< Response deleted because it failed to contribute to the question in any meaningful way >
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:10:18 AM by ProphetSword »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
Answers:

1) The lower half of the screen has no borders because GEN.TLB is a solid black picture.

2) The created character's name doesnt show up because the palette has been changed and it displays black letters on a black background. To change the name color to light blue, add the line -
3D582 0 B
- to the diff.tbl file. (Pasting it anywhere above the trailing "0" is okay.)
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
An oddity about UA is that while the startup sequence is occurring, you can skip through it in three ways:  Click your mouse button, pushing the space bar or pressing enter or escape (I actually don't remember off the top of my head which it is, but someone will set me straight).  You may ask why this is important.  It's important because depending on which method you used to bypass the intro, this color oddity may or may not occur because UA will load a slightly different palette (I don't know why, it's just what I remember someone uncovered at one point).

Pressing "Space" or "Enter" will move through the title images one at a time.

Pressing "Esc" will skip the title screen sequence and not load the correct always palette (the first 16 colors).

The image above is from Neverwin.dsn when you press "Enter". If you accidentally press "Esc" during the title sequence, then all the text that used to be white will also be black. At that point, you need to Quit since you won't be able to read anything at all.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »

Pressing "Space" or "Enter" will move through the title images one at a time.

Pressing "Esc" will skip the title screen sequence and not load the correct always palette (the first 16 colors).

The image above is from Neverwin.dsn when you press "Enter". If you accidentally press "Esc" during the title sequence, then all the text that used to be white will also be black. At that point, you need to Quit since you won't be able to read anything at all.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I actually didn't remember the details fully when I typed it out.  In case it was part of the issue, I wanted the original poster to be aware that the palette oddity can happen.  Your help is always appreciated, Nol.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:46:19 PM »
Sorry I missed this. The palette had to be changed to make the correct colors show up. The borders aren't exact because FRUA uses different dimensions. FRUA has a bug in regards to the palette as mentioned above. I couldn't find a way to make the keystrokes show up and no one here knew how to either when I asked.  :(

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:45:23 AM »
Its ok, we are just more then happy to have a good game to play :) thanks again for all that. Btw i was wondering yesterday how much better NWN-O could look like refreshed for DC :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:48:02 AM by Rainbower »

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
Feel free to convert it.  ;) It would have huge art files though.  :(

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 12:43:45 AM »
Maybe one day :) if i somehow learn to do things good with FRUA/DC :D and maybe do more for it i mean add my own :) anyway that March of machines looked good, i might try it too, i am not sure if i have characters high lv enough for it :)

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
Maybe one day :) if i somehow learn to do things good with FRUA/DC :D and maybe do more for it i mean add my own :) anyway that March of machines looked good, i might try it too, i am not sure if i have characters high lv enough for it :)
Most designs let you make characters of the appropriate levels, and I usually playtest with characters created by the design itself.

Here are fixes to NWN-O geos. One encounter in Floodblest didn't have the 2% random percentage, the encounters in Nightsedge weren't in a chain so they would have gone off every step, and the other two had random text every 16 steps instead of 6.

EDIT: Nasher was missing his image so I put it back.

I'll upload the whole version once I've changed the text files.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:11:37 PM by GoldBoxFan »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
Thanks, i am waiting for the new version, i am still making my characters :) i want them to be really good before start :) as i am starting again.

I sometimes use already made characters but i like to have my own mostly, preferably with a story and adventures behind them :) I would use already made if i knew who they are not just some randomly genreated characters meaning i probably wouldn't have problem running Drizzt or Bruenor or any other well known guy from Toril, but i am having problems running characters that are just made and named fast.