Author Topic: Questions about DC  (Read 14562 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Questions about DC
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 06:26:12 AM »
Ok thanks so much I will try it and will post later what happened :)

Btw here is the link for that item I am making please (summon cat figurine) check it out to see what can be done with it :) http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2216.0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:32:21 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
Ok I have read all from Your last post and tried and it seems to be ok, that Step Events option is new to me as those GPDL Scripts. Now I will try to bring those larger scripts form Your first post into my design and to synchronize them and make them work I will post when finished what happened and ask more probably :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »
Ok I figured it almost all but I am not sure how to add that step event in event editor. I have seen that chain can be added trough event editor but I can't figure how You added step event to it and where is it on the map (that white dot). I will try doing more later :) but for now I can't add that chain event with step event and GPDL Script.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
Step Events and Rest Events don't show up on the map, only in the Event Viewer.  The Step Event Editor is the other thing you have to set.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
Ok I did all needed only now I have to do the final script for teleporting right. I have 11 map pieces, party is starting from piece named 3-1 (level number 24)and they are sorted like this

18 (1-1)  19 (1-2)  20 (1-3)

21 (2-1)  22 (2-2)  23 (2-3)

24 (3-1)  25 (3-2)  26 (3-3)

27 (4-1)  28 (4-2)

What I did was marked zone to the north and tried to put script for going to the north, I used those first from first example and it teleported me on the 0,0 spot on the same map :) Now I need help to do those scripts good.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:39:11 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
Btw they are size 93*93

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
Hmm.  You really need a block or three of overlap on the maps.  As it is, if you put any type of transfers on the edges the players will be unable to move into any of the outside cells.  They'll just pop across.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »
I am adding blocks now on the houses, I will add more where needed but my plan was to not block anything if not needed (because it is the fastest), and add encounters later and well anything else like shops and other building events.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I was referring to an area of the picture duplicated on both maps as an overlap.  This should be a minimum of 32 pixels for DC wilderness maps.  (2 blocks, 2 cells, 2 squares, however you want to refer to it.)

Transfers will cause a discontinuity of movement without it.  (The player tries to move 1 step, but is moved 3 steps.)  Larger overlap areas can be used, but the key point is that if a party tries to move one space into a point on the picture, they should arrive at that point on the picture.  Even if the point is on a different map.  Here is a picture that I hope will show the point I'm trying to make.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Yes now I understand :) It might be a bit complicated to link all the maps though not impossible.

Having that in mind I was thinking of doing again 11 or more one piece independent town maps which I could encircle with blocks and left few entry/exit points and those together could be one big city :). It wouldn't be like that before but still it might look good

Now I will probably do maps one more time, I am not sure what to do but it might be better to do it like this second option (it is easier) though I would like to that first option also if possible (maybe sometime later if I get into DC and would actualy be able to do it :) then I would like to make one really cool and big city :) ).

Anyway here is how this second try looks like

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ih08zo.jpg
&
http://i49.tinypic.com/xbgzuw.jpg

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »
I have more questions :) probably I could find it in the help but now as I am trying to make design i need a quick help and I will try doing complete tutorial some other time when I feel prepared for that.

Now about encounters lets say I want some on this map http://i48.tinypic.com/2ih08zo.jpg

I would like to have some monster in that lake but not on one place instead I would like to have it on all surface of the lake and I would like to have one giant octopus for example and few giant water snakes. Is there a way to acomplish that, I tried with zone but it seem I can only place one monster there. Also How many zones can I put on the map which in this case is wilderness map.

Also I would like to have some non combat encounters like party stumbles on some important wizard and he give them some magic or they help some people on the street, or something like that. I think I saw somwhere in editor option of some encounters to happen randomly but don't know now how to do it.

Also about those just random combat encounters, I don't know how to do it also. I think somwhere it need to be adjusted % for that happening and then set monster encounter list but I am also not sure where that can be found.

So :) I know I might be a bit boring with questions but If anyone knows how to help me quick, it would be great :)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »
I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I was referring to an area of the picture duplicated on both maps as an overlap.  This should be a minimum of 32 pixels for DC wilderness maps.  (2 blocks, 2 cells, 2 squares, however you want to refer to it.)

Transfers will cause a discontinuity of movement without it.  (The player tries to move 1 step, but is moved 3 steps.)  Larger overlap areas can be used, but the key point is that if a party tries to move one space into a point on the picture, they should arrive at that point on the picture.  Even if the point is on a different map.  Here is a picture that I hope will show the point I'm trying to make.

Another related point is that as the party approaches the edge of the overland map, you can tell they are getting close to the edge because the map stops moving with the party. So, ideally, the seamless transfer points should be a few squares in from the edge.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »
Yeah that sounds right :)

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »
Good point, Steve!

Yes now I understand :) It might be a bit complicated to link all the maps though not impossible.

If they're all sections copied from one huge pic it should be possible to recut the sections with an overlap on any side with a transfer.

I like the revised versions better than the big sprawl, but either should work.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »
Well I could make another map with 12 pieces it is not a problem and on each map I could put some grey border for that overlapping effect if needed. I still would have trouble linking those with scripts :) so if I am about to do that I might need help with those transfer scripts and well north and south placing of the program script :)

anything