Author Topic: Castle Greyhawk  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Castle Greyhawk
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
I am playing Castle Greyhawk by Andrew White and on the first dungeon level I am missing pic from journal entry 42 (p_jrnl42.pcx) which probably is a missing clue I need. The situation is that on the level are mostly goblinoids and there is a mage who is making a party at midnight. There are bugbears at the doors and they won't let me in as the party starts at midnight. I waited but it was the same answer. All other rooms I think I explored and only one contains a frozen something inside which I don't know how to use. :) Any help on this?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:27:45 PM by Rainbower »

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: Castle Greyhawk
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
Sure, here it is:

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
Thank You :) now lets see :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »
I can't do anything more then I did. This picture doesn't tell me anything except maybe that I should elimininate all in the other rooms, which I did, then go to the mage and to the party room. But it is the same, mage is preparing for party and bugbears won't let me in. I would appriciate any help as I already gave up, but I would like to finish this one too as it seems nice :). Anyway I am playing now Neverwinter Nights and hoping that I might continue this one too.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:02 AM »
The party is the ending room for that level, and you have to do everything else first.  Go through every room again (though many should just push you back out the door if completed), then try again.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »
Done :) thanks a lot now I will continue and try to finish :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
Can someone please upload the rest of the pictures as I am trying to finish this module and probably I will need them too. I am not sure what happened to the pictures in my module but I think I just unrared the files and probably those were not inside.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »
UAShell moves picture files into the /ART folder rather than the design (.dsn) folder, so you should be able to find it there or in the .zip file.

The only other pic is about the UPC reader It really isn't necessary, but it looks nice.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 04:02:29 AM »
I have been fighting bees for a weeks now, is there a way to somehow pass it maybe to get a few levels temporary or something else, I have come to the bee queen, there is firstly one big fight with bees and bee men and then after that there is one huge fight with lots of bees lots of bee men (who are 50hps and can shoot deadly arrows), and queen bee and another one I think aunt bee:)

Anyway I didn't level my 2 mages from lv 8 and other characters are lv 9 because it is long way to trainers and I would have to fight again and I passed first fight with a good scores and full of magic, but i still can't pass as those bee men are hard to eliminate and I cant get to the queen without loosing all my firepower, that is mages with spells and some wands and a rogue with fireball wand, cleric is there too with some heals and fighter and ranger :) that is it and I need help :D

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:04:39 AM »
Aunt Bee is hard to kill.  Good AC and HP, immune to fire and weapons <+2, 60% magic resistant.  She has lethal cleric spells too, but if you take your time getting to her she'll squander them before you close within range.  Don't waste magic on her, just let your heavies chop her up.

I just ran the battle 3 times with my 7 & 8 level party and won all 3.

There are no training halls or shops accessible until after you kill Aunt Bee.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »
Every time I see this post I think "I HAVE THE POWWWWWWERRRRRR!!!!!!!"

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:09:35 AM »
Best I could do is to kill all bee men that shot arrows and bees, but then Aunt bee casted fireball :). I think I need a bit more power with characters, I have some magic but they kill half of my party if I am lucky with arrows. Anyway I will try again some time later as I really would like to pass this encounter :)

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
You can rest in the Royal Jelly vaults. (You probably have been.)  You may get interrupted by a text statement, but no combats.

If you're seriously stuck, you might try fighting from a more defensible position.

Cast invisibility on your entire party.  (I hope you have the invisibility spell.)  You should have 1 or 2 invisibility rings at this point.  For this strategy in the Aunt Bee combat, the 5th character on your roster should definitely have one, and the 4th should have one if available.  If you kept the Helm of Teleportation (from the vending machine on the previous level) it can come in very handy in the fall back movement.

The 'big' combat prior to Aunt bee's chamber only happens once.  After that you'll only face 12 giant bees.  Don't let your front rank attack during this combat, just let the second rank kill these 12.  If you don't have any invisibility rings, try to kill the bees using only your 4th and 6th characters.  I know this may be difficult.

When the Aunt Bee battle starts, retreat into the corridor to the southwest and form your combat line to limit the number of attackers.  This may require delaying your invisible characters to screen the movement of the visible characters.  Save your AOE spells until a targetable area gets pretty full.  It can make for a long battle, but it should be winnable.  After the B-Men and giant bees are killed, all that's left is to kill Aunt Bee.  You can get 4 melee attackers on her if one has the Helm of Teleportation to get behind her.  A fighter with high dex and strength could make good use of the fine long bow and +2 arrows found earlier.  (I hope you still have the arrows.)

Or you can try a completely different strategy.  Good luck!   :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
Thanks for support it really means a lot. Unfortunately I don't have any Inivisibilty on me. I only have like 3 firebals and 2 Ice storms on each mage (though one of the mages have 1 fireball only but have scroll with delayed blast fireball and normal one and also a lightning wand). Rogue only has a one wand of fireballs and it really can make a lot damage, and cleric has one scroll of resurrection x2 and reincarnation. I also have scroll with 3 cloud kills on the other mage. I have ranger who can use arrows and fighter that also can shoot them, but as I said as I try to reatreat I usualy get killed by bee men arrows or bees who often paralize with attack :) It seems I am stuck this one, and I think I will try it again with higher level characters next time :) 6-7lv should be good :D I wanted to pass this one and I might try that tactic but I doubt it will work.

I tried also to get back to surface and level up but I couldn't find my way back :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:18:54 AM by Rainbower »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
Yep.  It's not a good idea to back away unless you're invisible.

If you need to restart, go to the mage's tower and fight the delicate elf maidens (3 high thieves) once you hit 5th or 6th level.  Probably after you finish the "party" level and train up.  The xp and equipment really help out downstairs.  It's a tough fight, but rewarding.