Author Topic: PREVIEW: Helmetlands: Snow Tigress  (Read 39549 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: PREVIEW: Helmetlands: Snow Tigress
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
That would be cool. :D I briefly consider doing the music for my mods whenever the topic comes up, but I'll snap out of it in a day or two. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
Well, I have so far done all the music for my designs myself (last not least for copyright reasons)... but I am not such a perfectionist as Uatu is - if he put the same effort into his music as he puts into his graphics, we would have to wait some more years for his first DC design...  ::)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
Fortunately for me, there are plenty of free to use mp3s and midis. :D

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
Well, I will either use my own "music" (discordance?) or nothing - the latter seems to be the best choice for now.  :D  (I don't even have enough walls/backdrops right now, anyway - have to do more art!)

Sigh...  Haven't had time to play any mods this week (work is a bummer)...  :(
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
Sigh...  Haven't had time to play any mods this week (work is a bummer)...  :(
I hardly find time for designing or playing mods during these weeks, too. Some years ago, I would simply have stayed up longer, but I seem to need more sleep now... :( I always thought it was the other way round - the older, the less sleep you need...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 04:10:24 AM »
I think the less sleep thing starts after retirement...  You know, because you suddenly have no real reason to sleep longer (you can sleep whenever you feel like it), and you can actually do what you like all the time now...

At our age, though, we are only losing our vitality and our youth, while having to work more and more...  :(  Sometimes it is even a bit risky to stay up late to do stuff - your immune system might get weak, resulting in getting sick, and then losing more time overall...

I wish I could find some way to give myself more energy, though.  Is there a magic food somewhere?  Or...?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »
Uatu, it sounds like you need to raise your CON score. ;)

Perhaps the answer to the music question is collaboration? It doesn't have to be with someone in the community, either. There are lots of folk around the internet that are looking to help out with music (I'm of course talking about for free, too). Your art, Uatu, is good enough that you could probably barter something as well. ;)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 03:19:02 AM »
Unfortunately, my CON roll was not exceptional (that would be my COM roll, of course)...  I think I should have chosen "dwarf" as my race.

As for music - well, that is not the highest priority for me, anyway (when I played the Gold Box games, I didn't get music, except for the opening screen, anyway).  It is just something fun, if I can manage it, to add later on...  I wish the programs were a bit simpler to use, though - something where I just place musical notes and instruments would be ideal (and if for Mac OSX, even better).

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
I usually turn the sound off, but some people like and expect it.

You might find a midi program you like here.  The best part is, they're all free. :)
http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/freshness:recently-updated/?q=midi
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »
I was going to mention that I usually turned the sound off, too. But I didn't want to give the wrong idea - I like new music and FX, I just can't stand the default ones any longer - consider that for the last 12 years, I've put in an average of about 10 ours a week working on DC and half of it at least is playtesting it...well, you get the idea. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 03:16:39 AM »
I have just found a good motive for a mystery game, I guess I should have the music done now until the end of the week. I use Anvil Studio, by the way. It has some flaws, but for a free program, it is really great.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
I have made more progress with Snow Tigress, but it will still take several weeks to finish this design. The event chains are almost too complicated... Here are some animations based on the 3D screen...

moving out of the stables          entering the eating room
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:31:01 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 05:28:23 AM »
Wow, the scenes are so lifelike and captivating...  You really use the various walls (and sprites?) to best effect!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 06:56:48 AM »
In these animations, there are only "NPC walls". In the game, I use sprites/small pics for people moving between different rooms, and I use "NPC walls" for characters who are more or less stationary for 1 hour or more. E.g., the coachtiger is always inside the stables, and the swork cook is always inside the kitchen, thus they are depicted by a never-changing NPC wall.

The story is about a kind of treasure hunt, and the winner will win the crown of "Kanreiokuku", a kingdom at high latitude and altitude and thus always snowy and cold. The hunt takes place within a small castle. The two heroines controlled by the player participate in the hunt, but there are also at least three other parties exploring. The most challenging thing with this design is keeping track of the movements of these other parties. The appearance of several NPC walls and of conversation events has to be tied to certain time intervals. I really hope it will work in the end. There is an additional secret, connected to the appearing of a hideous ghost, which makes the handling even more complicated.

I will again include a kind of deadline, but this time, it will be different to Cold Trail and Friedrich's Revenge since there will be several solutions for the game, and even if the player has not succeeded in the treasure hunt, he could still achieve a kind of victory by solving additional secrets. And it is also possible to support a friendly party. Thus there are many possible outcomes - I hope that this will increase the re-play attractivity immensily. Well, if it works as I hope, at least.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »
Looks great, Dinonykos. :D

The winnind conditions being broadened will appeal to a lot of people. :D I'm looking forward to it.

anything