Author Topic: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games  (Read 20485 times)

Offline jhirvonen

Re: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2017, 05:21:35 AM »
Odd... my file sizes are:

GAME.OVR - 271,731
START.EXE  70,308

You seem to have version 1.2 installed. GOG has download links for several versions. I'm using GOG Galaxy (a Steam-like interface for GOG games) and it has the 1.3 as the default version and that is what GBC supports.

Offline AV8R

« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »
You seem to have version 1.2 installed. GOG has download links for several versions. I'm using GOG Galaxy (a Steam-like interface for GOG games) and it has the 1.3 as the default version and that is what GBC supports.

Ugh, I'd rather not have to install that bloated interface just to get version 1.3 of CotAB. I'll just deal with 1.2 and use GBC 2.01 with it. Sure it has less goodies than 2.32, but it works.

Thanks anyway.   :icon_thumright:

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
Ugh, I'd rather not have to install that bloated interface just to get version 1.3 of CotAB. I'll just deal with 1.2 and use GBC 2.01 with it. Sure it has less goodies than 2.32, but it works.

No, I meant that the default version is 1.3 even if downloaded manually from the GOG webpage by clicking the game title from Game Downloads. On the right side of the page there are Game Goodies where alternative versions (like the 1.2 with intro music) can be found. The packages for 1.3 and 1.2 are roughly the same size (64 megs) so that can be misleading. For some reason the webpage doesn't display the version number for the default download where as GOG Galaxy does.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »
No, I meant that the default version is 1.3 even if downloaded manually from the GOG webpage by clicking the game title from Game Downloads. On the right side of the page there are Game Goodies where alternative versions (like the 1.2 with intro music) can be found. The packages for 1.3 and 1.2 are roughly the same size (64 megs) so that can be misleading. For some reason the webpage doesn't display the version number for the default download where as GOG Galaxy does.
What is the difference between 1.3 and 1.2 aside from the intro music? (if known)

Offline AV8R

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »

Well, I got a wild hair and downloaded GoG Galaxy just to get the 1.3 version. I snagged the Ver 1.3 files from its install folder and put them in my own \CURSE folder and tried it. Now the file sizes were correct but for some reason I was getting a map error (couldn't locate whatever map address). So I took the characters to another town, went to the Inn, saved the game, closed everything and brought it all back up and, voila! it works now.

I then uninstalled GoG Galaxy and life went back to normal.  ;)

Offline AV8R

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:47 PM »
Well, I now discovered that IconMod doesn't like the Pool Of Darkness icon files. While I can add my custom icons to the CBODY file, I can't clear the head icons in the CHEAD file (I get an "Image format not supported" error). I tried to "trick" the PoD program by using the CHEAD and CBODY files from other Gold Box Games but it would have none of that (smarter than I am, apparently).

I imagine that since PoD was the first Gold Box game that supported VGA (and I'm playing in VGA mode), IconMod can't read the VGA CHEAD and CBODY files (although, looking at the standard character icons in PoD, they look like they use the same old EGA color palette so I don't know why IconMod chokes on the CHEAD file). The non-character icons, monster icons and pics in PoD seem to be the old things that use the true VGA color palette.

I know IconMod is just experimental, but do you have any suggestions on clearing the head icons in PoD's CHEAD file?

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
Well, I now discovered that IconMod doesn't like the Pool Of Darkness icon files. While I can add my custom icons to the CBODY file, I can't clear the head icons in the CHEAD file (I get an "Image format not supported" error).

I know IconMod is just experimental, but do you have any suggestions on clearing the head icons in PoD's CHEAD file?

I did not have time to look at the code and honestly can't remember why clearing isn't possible if you can add icons to the CBODY file. I think I didn't fully figure out how the palette works in the graphic files and then lost interest and some things left unfinished.

However, I made a quick test. You can replace the CHEAD icons similarly (one by one) as you do the CBODY icons. The icons have to be of same size as the icons in the CHEAD file. You need 24x10 and 24x8 blank background colored bitmaps and then use those to replace at least one head for small/big icons. I might remember the sizes wrong but IconMod should tell you if the size differs from the original icon. If you replace just one head icon of course remember to select that head in icon creation. It seemed to work in character creation but I didn't test it in combat.

I'll try to fix the clearing thing at some better time.

Offline AV8R

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »
Replacing one of the head icons with a blank worked (24x8). Although, when importing the pristine EGA colored icons into PoD and using them in-game shows some color issues - but only with black for some reason. Black shows on the icons in-game as a dark brown. It makes the icons look tired/faded.

Trying to edit the icons to change the black to an "alternate" black using Paint's normal color palette yields no better results. Why it's misinterpreting EGA black as brown is puzzling.   ???

Offline AV8R

« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
In other news: has anyone else noticed the bug with the Ring of Electrical Immunity in Pools of Darkness? If your character wears one, check the spell effects using the Character Editor in GBC. The effect will not be listed even though the ring is worn and readied. If you unready the ring and ready it again and check the spell effects list again, you'll see "Electrical Immunity" listed. But, it you take a few steps or get into a battle the immunity disappears again.

This basically makes the ring useless as the electrical immunity will not stay on for any length of time which is disappointing since, near the end of Pools of Darkness, electrical immunity would be quite useful when dealing with blue bane minions and dracoliches. I got so tired of monkeying with the effect that I went into the Save Game Editor (SGE) and made the effect permanent on my characters who had the rings using the spell effect editor at the bottom of SGE.

Thanks goodness GBC has Gold Box bug-battling features built right in!  ;)

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »
If you want to sort the Items in a PC's inventory, Trade (Give) an item to that PC, one item at a time.
I choose the order: Helmet, Eyes, Necklace, Cloak, Armor, Arrows/Bolts, Bows, other weapons, Shield, Rings, Gauntlets, Girdles, Belt, Boots and other items.
Ready the first item, the one that will be at the top of the list of items, if it is not already readied. Unready all other items, then trade the items to the PC using the order given above. You can use an order of your own devising of course. When finished, ready all the items that should be readied.

Offline JOSHPOE

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
How do I get past this error I'm having? It's saying "ERROR: Name for character does not match! (character record at $0)".

The save I have works on the old GBC version but the new one shows the aforementioned error.
What game? If you can send me the save (+ design if FRUA) + some info, I'll take a look.

I have this same issue - v2.32 and v2.21 give me the error, but v2.01 works ok. I thought the issue might be due to an imported or edited character, but I get it even with a single freshly generated character in a new game. I've been using v2.21 for the previous 3 games in the series, and didn't have any problems loading GBC there.

I'd be happy to send you a save as well, but have no idea how to do so. (I just registered here for the first time for the purpose of making this post.)

It may be worth noting that sometimes when I load GBC with v2.01, I get a different error: "Name matches at address $DFxxxxx but race / alignment / hit points does not match." I get this with my actual party (which has had a bit of editing), but generally the problem goes away if I exit the game & restart, or sometimes even just from saving in-game.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:08:14 PM by JOSHPOE »

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2017, 06:43:38 AM »
The newer versions use a different search method which is needed to get the character inventories, effects, combat map etc. to work.

Send save + info to the email address found in the GBC help file (click the Help-button in GBC main window).

Offline JOSHPOE

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2017, 12:04:23 PM »
The newer versions use a different search method which is needed to get the character inventories, effects, combat map etc. to work.

Send save + info to the email address found in the GBC help file (click the Help-button in GBC main window).

Ok, so after our various tests, here's the progress so far:
- A brand new single character party worked on your combo of GOG + newest GBC, but not mine. However when I switched to a non-GOG version of PoD, it worked fine with all versions of GBC.
- I also had a secondary problem with a character that had 17 items in inventory. (Thanks for finding that one out!) Moving the item, removing the character from the party, and then bringing them back in, fixed that problem.

Offline JOSHPOE

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »
Ok, so after some testing and with help from Jhirvonen, we have a solution! It turns out that the problem lay within Dosbox's interaction with GBC. If the Dosbox settings are set to a starting cycle count over 10,000, the errors occur. However if the game is started at 10,000 cycles or less, and manually adjusted upward, there are no problems.
Many thanks Jhirvonen! For both a great program, and your support with it!

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
Version 2.33 (22-July-2017):
- New feature: quick menu. Pressing Control + the "/" key opens a quick menu where you can encamp-fix, restore/store spells,
  read journal entries or start the level up. The menu can be fully used by the arrow keys and enter so you don't have to use
  the mouse. The key combination for opening the menu can be configured.
- Searching for characters tweaked and the default address range increased.
  If you previously had problems with GBC not finding the characters, this version may fix that.
- Different Pools of Darkness world maps (Realms, Moander, Web) are recognized and the party location is shown.
- World map teleport in Pools of Darkness and Champions of Krynn.
- The auto-identify was bugged as it was always on regardless of the setting. Fixed. Also fixed auto-identifying of scrolls
  in the Krynn-games.

Version 2.34 (15-August-2017):
- New optional feature: auto-ammo. This will automatically keep the amount of arrows, bolts and darts at a certain configurable
  level if you have at least one item of the type in your inventory. May please those who don't like to micromanage
  the ammunition after combats or buy them at small amounts at a time from shops.
  Does not work while in combat. You can configure the max plus level of ammunition to be affected.
- ECL-Tool which can browse and edit the parameters of commands in the ECL.DAX files (script files for Gold Box games).

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc

anything