Author Topic: Limiting player alignment  (Read 1040 times)

Offline arelim

Limiting player alignment
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
I suspect I know the answer to this question ... BUT ... is there a way to limit the alignments players can choose from when creating a new character? For instance, if you wanted to create an 'good' campaign or possibly even an 'evil' campaign ...

I'm thinking of working on a 'all evil' module ... I've only got my idea in broad strokes right now, but I'm thinking of a sort of 'reverse' LOTR scenario ... the good guys have some object that will allow your evil master to take over the world, and you have to go get it from them ...

I was thinking it might be fun to have some unusual evil race/class options ... like Dark Elf or Vampire or Orc ... and classes like 'Death Knight' or 'Necromancer' ... so I don't want to use premade characters ... but how to keep players from selecting non-evil alignments!? A lawful good Orc Warrior just doesn't seem like the kind of guy Sauron wants working for him ;)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Limiting player alignment
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:28:10 PM »
Restricting alignment is pretty easy to do. DC is already doing it for Dreuids, Paladins, Rangers and Thieves. And it's being done in the baseclass database. Check out baseclass.txt for how this is done - looking at one of the baseclasses I just mentioned for exmples; and then knock yourself out. ;)

Offline arelim

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
oh duh ... of course, I can restrict alignment on specific classes. I knew that already. I was thinking of restricting it from a global perspective and my brain ignored that I already knew how to do it locally!

I clearly should not be thinking about game designing while I'm at work... it clearly interferes with thorough thinking. ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:05:46 PM by arelim »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
Depending on your story, there are other ways you could do it, too. Namely, using a Logic Block event - this would be useful if you wanted to do it in game, of course.

And this isn't even getting into the Special Abilities and scripts side of things. :D

Offline arelim

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
mmmm ... logic block ... so maybe you could change character alignment based on in game choices? that could be interesting ... although not what I had in mind for this case...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
You can indeed change a PCs alignment in-game. :D I just thought I'd throw it out there.

If you have any more questions about this, please feel free to ask.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
personally, I'd be interested in hiding alignment from the player and allowing actions the player takes to determine outcomes.

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
We can't hide the alignment right now, but you can do the other. :)

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
You can't hide alignment, but you could hide a "reputation" value... heh heh...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »
Or you can hide the "true alignment". :) Using reputation is probably a better way to say it - I like it. :D

anything