Author Topic: Functional Difference between Magic User spells and Cleric Spells  (Read 599 times)

Offline arelim

I've been mucking around trying to figure out the functional difference between magic user spells and cleric spells ... since it seems you could, in theory, make a 'cleric' spell that did anything that a magic user spell does ... i.e. a 'cleric' fireball ... if you wanted ... whats the actual difference, other than the classes they are assigned to? Particularly, what is the difference in .93 and up (now that we have special abilities)

If I remember correctly, in the old SSI games Magic User spells were only aquired when you LEARNED them ... so you had to either learn them from a scroll or purchase them from shops ... so just because you had the ability to know a 3rd level spell didn't mean you knew it. I think you could even learn a spell from a scroll before you could actually cast it ...

Where as, with Clerics, each time they got got a new spell level open to them they automatically learned all spells at that level.

So is that the difference between the two 'schools' when creating spells? or are there more differences?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Functional Difference between Magic User spells and Cleric Spells
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »
Pretty much.
Cleric school~ upon attaining a new level, the character gains access to all spells of that level
MU school~ upon attaining a new level, the character gains access to one additional spell, to be chosen from the available pool of possible spells allowed for that level.

Both schools may use scrolls, but only MU may be scribed (adding the spell to the character's spellbook, but disallowing that instance being used to cast the spell, i.e. if a scroll is scribed, the spell cannot be cast).

Offline arelim

Re: Functional Difference between Magic User spells and Cleric Spells
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
Excellent. Thank you.