Author Topic: Modules to play  (Read 15096 times)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Re: Modules to play
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
Ooh, can we transfer parties between mods?

Yeah, I think I could do the introductory design thing (so I would still be working on the huge final game, but could have something out before the turn of the next century)...

(As for Might & Magic and Ultima, Might & Magic was too difficult for me (yaargh), I really loved Ultima VI, though!)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 10:44:44 PM »
I remember playing Might and Magic IV I think. I distinctly remember that there was a guard who said, "Got a Pass? Back off!" but voices on computers didn't sound as crisp back then as they do today, and "Back off" sounded a lot ruder!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »
Quote from: Uatu
Ooh, can we transfer parties between mods?

If the databases are the same, it will work flawlessly. :) If the databases are different, it'll work but with interesting results - usually the monsters/spells/special abilities being different doesn't matter so much, but if even one item is changed it will likely effect all of the transferred party's equipment in unpredictable ways, such as their Plate Mail +5 armor is now an Empty Vial. :) This is one of the reasons the default item database is as populated as it is, so that people will have to add very little if any items when doing a fantasy design.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
I remember playing Might and Magic IV I think. I distinctly remember that there was a guard who said, "Got a Pass? Back off!" but voices on computers didn't sound as crisp back then as they do today, and "Back off" sounded a lot ruder!
Now I know that when I get around to playing it, I'll have to turn the sound on... :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
Maybe we (or rather Olivier :D ) can add to the designs mentioned in the ultimate list if the designs feature special things, e.g., "real" talk events, wandering monsters, voice acting, music or anything else. It may be too much information, though - I am not sure...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »
I'll add any info you want if you provide me with it.  ;)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
What are "real" talk events?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »

I meant using the GPDL functions in text events for dialogs (including the talk.bin file and that stuff). Of course, you could also run dialogs via multiple choice or passwords or both...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »

I meant using the GPDL functions in text events for dialogs (including the talk.bin file and that stuff). Of course, you could also run dialogs via multiple choice or passwords or both...
Okay, :) I thought you meant that, but then for some reason I thought you meant something else, probably because I saw "real" talk in the same sentence as voice acting. :D

Well, my Academy DEMO uses "real" talk. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
I thought you meant something else, probably because I saw "real" talk in the same sentence as voice acting. :D
"Friedrich's Revenge" uses "the other real talk", then... :D :D :D

Well, my Academy DEMO uses "real" talk. ;)
Nlundbergs question concerning talks in the "GPDL" thread made me think about that it would be interesting especially for beginners which of the available designs uses which "special technique".

So maybe, we should add things like:

In the Service of Aldorf features: real actors
The Acadamy demo features: use of the "talk.bin" file (or however this can be expressed clearly... :) ), high resolution, square screen...
Friedrich's Quest features: event-based combat
Friedrich's Revenge features: event-based combat, voice acting

However, I am not sure which features should be stated. Maybe also the use of music, sound effects, different wall formats and so on may be of interest?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »
I think the more info the better, especially if there is a kind of checklist that the designers can look and then tell Olivier which I apply to their work.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
I think the more info the better, especially if there is a kind of checklist that the designers can look and then tell Olivier which I apply to their work.

Okay, suggestions for a checklist:
sound effects?
if yes: Midi? MP3/WAV? Own?
music?
if yes: Midi? MP3/WAV? Own?
graphics:
Own? Resolution?
Content:
Background (e.g, fantasy, sci-fi, a.s.o.)?
Size of adventure (one level, several levels, short, epic...)?
Bad language?
Sex/Nudity?
Violence?

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »
yeah, a quick readme with each mod could have a list of the component parts and features and mention but not detail anything "new". This becomes real necessary if you have wall types that won't work in default config that are custom and not necessarily incorporated in mainstream.

Also, (and again this is my opinion on this) I would also add a detailed text file telling the player how to use any "new" features. Like say I set up a proficiency system and it includes new kinds of searching like tracking (check for footprints/tracks, as well as follow a path of a set of footprints/tracks), and more detailed searching (listen for sounds, check for smells, dwarven detect slope, elven doors, ect). And these do NOT work passively you have to try to detect them to find them. So, rather than search or look when you search or look it asks you what to look for and then tracks this with ASLs and/or quest values. Something like this should be explained in detail in the "manual" if you use a new feature.

Those uncomfortable talks with your parents (or now that I'm older, kids) about "adult" subjects.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
So, ST, what about for the list in this forum? I agree that readme files should list new features and how to play the design, especially if it's different from the default DC. But, I don't know that I need to know all of that when I'm looking at a list of potential games to play. :)

I think screenshots, which Olivier has already done beautifully, are one of the things I use in choosing the order I will play the games on the list. (Right now, the list is o small that I've played everything.) And I can see myself using that in the future when we're adding 3 or 4 designs a week to the list. :)

Now as to explanations of how "tricks" are accomplished being included with a design; I'm not a big fan of this unless it's a separate file. I don't want the design ruined because I scanned down half a page in the readme file. :) Also, what are tricks in this context? With only a few people making and releasing designs at the moment, placing walls so that they are only on one side may be a trick for some, where as for someone like Dinonykos and myself, we may already know how to place walls on only one side. :)
What I propose instead, is that people make tutorials of our tricks. Then, we post all of these tutorials somewhere. Then, we point people to the tutorials. :) There are several places we can do this - the SourceForge Wiki (if you register with SourceForge, you can update the Wiki), a sticky here in the forums (probably the top candidate), on individuals sites, etc.
In my readme files, I include my email address in case there are any questions. And believe me, I get a lot of DC related emails. I would be happy to make tutorials for anyone emailing me, or requesting them here in the forums. I think a centralized repository works better for this kind of resource. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 05:50:48 AM »
I think we do have some more DC designs now, which could be added to the ultimate list:

"Downtown" (Granamedia calls this a demo, but I think it is a complete game, even if it is short.)

"Haptooth Tower"

"March of the Machines"

"Velora Storms of Liroel" (not sure if this is completed)