Author Topic: Modules to play  (Read 14354 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Modules to play
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
There are several modules and demos to be played. I would wager that needs to happen before the reviews can be written. :D

At the Dungeon Craft site:
Fury by Harri Polsa
The Last Days of Autumn by Harri Polsa
Tavern Demo by Kevin Wyllie
Thieve's Run by manikus
Border of Darkness by Sihram

In a Yahoo group created solely for hosting it:
In the Service of Aldorf by Rami Sihvo, a.k.a. Sihram

On ShareCG:
The Chalice of Unlife by Funky Dynamite

Offline Arcalian

Re: Modules to play
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »
Any way to describe each?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »
Yes, but I can't do all of them as I haven't played all of them. As soon as this quarter gets over, I will have a lot more free time.

Fury/Last Days of Autumn - epic adult sci-fi

Tavern Demo - a short demo to show how the "Tall wall" template can be used

Thieve's Run - a remake of the Dan Autery FRUA mod that was a short demo on trap making

In the Service of Aldorf - classic fantasy, but set in author's own world. This download is huge, b/c of mp3 files. He uses pictures of his LARP group and the music was specially commissioned for the project.

Border of Darkness - haven't played, but I know it's classic fantasy and I think it might be intended as a demo.

The Chalice of Unlife - haven't played, and I do know it's a demo. FD has already updated it once and is amenable to suggestions/pointing out errors.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:14:55 PM »
I played Harri Polsa's design a long time ago.  I feel the same way about it that I feel about all Harri's designs...which is that it's good for what it is.  As a RPG module, it's not good...but as an interactive story, it's great.

I played Borders of Darkness this week.  The less I say about that one, the better.  Didn't care for it.  Not my cup of tea. 

Also, it was hard to follow all the characters (you have to use a pre-gen party); because the artwork for those characters comes almost exclusively from the Dragonlance saga.  So, for me, it was hard to keep in mind who was who, when all I kept thinking was: "Look, there's Caramon.  Look, there's Raistlin.  Look, there's Tanis!" 

Very, very distracting.  And the story doesn't seem too motivating either.

I'm waiting for a good DC design to come along.  I've even considered doing one myself...but I don't know if I could work around the engine limitations yet.  So, I've got my fingers crossed we'll see a new release soon.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
There are several in the works. :)

Jadefang has a completed design that I've been trying to playtest/play through but haven't, not b/c of quality but b/c I don't have the time to playtest the way I would like to.

Dinonykos (not part of these forums yet) is close on a design that looks to be awesome. He has done all of the art himself and is by-passing the normal combat system for the most part is it is not working the way he would like it to. From what he has shared, the story and setting seem very interesting.

I am also working on a module and have a complete module that I've pulled to retool with better (more consistent) graphics, tightening up the prose and streamlining the events. I'll post a preview for my module soon.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:42 AM »
Dinonykos (not part of these forums yet) is close on a design that looks to be awesome. He has done all of the art himself and is by-passing the normal combat system for the most part is it is not working the way he would like it to. From what he has shared, the story and setting seem very interesting.
Hi, I should add to Manikus' encomium that there is still much to do in terms of level design and playtesting. Right now, it tends to be too much of an interactive story and not enough of an RPG, especially with that simplified combat (which itself is still only working for some opponents yet). For screenshots and stuff I like to share, please visit my homepage...  :) http://one.xthost.info/Dinonykos/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:31:17 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
Hi, Dinonykos. :D Welcome to the new forums.

I hope my talking about your design is motivation to work on it when you get the opportunity. :) Though, you seem to be pretty motivated on your own.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 05:50:07 AM »
I recently wanted to download my own contest design and forgot where it was hosted...  :D

Given that DC designs are spread all over the web and not found in a single place I think we should have a prominent up-to-date sticky here on the forum with links to all DC design that are currently available for download. This thread was a fantastic idea and a step in the right direction but it needs some maintaining/updating.

My proposition is to

EITHER sticky this thread and update the list
OR create a new sticky and keep it free of discussions while using this thread to suggest updates, corrections, additions to the new design sticky.

If noone else feels like doing it at the moment, I'd offer to do it myself. In both cases, a link to the design sticky could also be added to the DC websites sticky in the General section of this forum. What do you think?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 05:58:35 AM »
OR create a new sticky and keep it free of discussions while using this thread to suggest updates, corrections, additions to the new design sticky.
If noone else feels like doing it at the moment, I'd offer to do it myself. In both cases, a link to the design sticky could also be added to the DC websites sticky in the General section of this forum. What do you think?

Dear Oliver, I would definitely appreciate your offer (thank you! :D ), and prefer the "OR" option. The place to download my designs is mentioned in my signature below.

BTW, "In the service of Aldorf" seems not to be downloadable at the link above (or did I overlook something). There is a nice finnish (?) page probaly done by Rami Sihvo himself here: http://www.rajakatsefantasia.fi/muuta/tietotuo/dc/DC.htm , but the download link does not work, too. At least, you can see some nice screenshots. I would really like to have a look at that design, since it uses the interesting approach to "hire" real actors as NPCs. (I assume LARP-friends of the author?)

EDIT: I just saw that Manikus has already explained that Rahmo Sihvo's LARP group did the "acting". :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:19:43 PM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20:08 AM »
Try this link;)

Okay then, unless manikus protests I'm willing to create a new sticky and rename this one to make it the accompanying discussion thread.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:24:00 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »
A short and prosaic inventory before creating the sticky:

The Mystery of Filos by Jadefang (Contest Winner)
Fury by Harri Polsa
The Last Days of Autumn by Harri Polsa
Tavern Demo by Kevin Wyllie
Thieves Run by manikus
Border of Darkness by Sihram
In The Service of Aldorf (Demo) by Sihram
Friedrich's Quest (Silver Edition) by Dinonykos (link to download page)
Friedrich's Revenge (Bronze Edition) by Dinonykos (link to download page)
The Chalice of Unlife by Funky Dynamite
The Lesson by Olivier Leroux (it's only version C, seems like I haven't uploaded version D with a few minor fixes yet)

Did I get everything right? Do you know of any direct links to manikus' and Budzo's designs that still work? Did I forget any designs?

The sticky could sort designs by release date and add additional info, like a short synopsis/teaser, state of completion (e.g. full or demo), maybe screenshots... Any other ideas?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 04:58:55 PM »
This is cool by me. :)

I don't think there is any place to get Budzo's entry now...

But, you can find the Academy Demo online again. :D

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
Done.  :) Feel free to comment and critize and and help me improve the sticky.

I wasn't sure whether I should include the Tavern demo, since it's not really a playable design but more of a wall art demo...

I assume Budzo didn't want his design to be released yet?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »
I wasn't sure whether I should include the Tavern demo, since it's not really a playable design but more of a wall art demo...
The thread is nice to look at, Olivier! Thanks for your efforts!
I have not yet looked at the tavern demo, but I would say as long as you can walk around, and it is made clear that it is a demo only, it should be added to the list. Maybe in the long run, it would be better do made a special sections for demos...

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
I have not yet looked at the tavern demo, but I would say as long as you can walk around, and it is made clear that it is a demo only, it should be added to the list.

It meets these criteria but it really is only one single room without any events or sounds in... You can take a few steps around the room and look at the wall design.

anything