Author Topic: Science Fiction - Ammo  (Read 1837 times)

Offline bravedogbfg

Science Fiction - Ammo
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
First, I am happy to finally be accepted to the forum.  Thanks admins.

Second - with DC, will it be possible to have more than 2 types of ammo?  I am envisioning a game with mostly ranged combat.  Will use handgun, rifle, and energy weapons as well as upgraded ammo for each type.  So i guess i will need 1 more type.  Grenades and RPG can probably be one use items (like necklace of missiles).

If not, i suppose i can use generic BULLETS and ENERGY PACK.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Science Fiction - Ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
I'd never tried this before, but I just created a launcher called 1911Colt and ammo called 45ACP, and they work well together.

To do this, I opened the items.txt file (after making a backup, of course), and copied/pasted the arrow and long bow entries to the end of the file. Next I went through and changed the names and the pertinent data, then imported the text file in the editor. Finally, I used the item editor to make sure everything matched up. (It didn't but I was able to fix it.  ;D )

I didn't try a plasma rifle with a multiple charge power pack, but if multiple charges don't work, making the power pack a "bundled" ammo item should. Spell effects such as might be used with grenades and RPGs don't work in the current (.914) release, and there are some problems with the v1.0 beta in getting them to work properly for all classes, but I hope this will be resolved soon.

So, yes, you can make as many specific ammo types as you want for use with specific weapons.

:D :D :D And welcome to the forum!  :D :D :D
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:29:45 PM »
So just to clarify:  right now there are only two ammo types - arrows and bolts.  I can add as many as I want?

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
Hmm. I admit I don't know the upper limit, but I'm sure there must be one. If it's like the other options in DC, adding a couple hundred ammo types shouldn't cause a problem.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:12:44 AM »
Pretty much all you need to change is the "ammo type" entry for the items in the text file so that the launcher and ammo both are the same.

EDIT: Alternately you can just type in the new Ammo Type in the entry box directly in the item editor
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:02:59 AM by Jadefang »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:32:39 AM »
For bow type weapons, the damage amount comes from the ammo and the range comes from the launcher. This might cause a problem with fine long bows (dunno, they're not working quite right yet), but it's great for things like 40mm grenade launchers because it allows different types of munitions from the same launcher. (Frag, HEI, white phosphorus, etc.) It wouldn't work so well for short range flechette rounds, but you can't have everything.

Having 9mm firearm ammunition usable in 9mm revolvers, semi automatics, and fully automatics with range varied by barrel length, and with additional choices of jacketed, soft nosed, and hollow point provides a lot of flexibility too.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
Got it.  Not just a drop down box there...  can create new as well.  thanks everyone.

Now, nologgie brought up something interesting.  Using bow and arrow as example.  The damage, is it the damage from the bow + arrow, or just the arrow?  Because i know i saw Short Bow +2 in the gold box

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »
That's another thing that isn't currently working, but should be soon. The thac0 and damage adjustments for both +bow and +arrow show up on the character's display, but aren't showing up as additional damage in combat yet. This should be fixed prior to the v1.0 release.

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 03:04:47 PM »
Just to add my little bit to the already excellent explanation of ammo, I have a working mod with 36 kinds of ammo, no problems at all.

nologgie, when you say not working now, do you mean in .914 or in beta testing? If the latter we'll need this addended to the bug list. I was also under the impression that the 'plus' for bows did not apply to damage, but to thac0 only...

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »
Quote from: 1e DMG page 168
Bow + 1 gives + 1 "to hit" and + 1 damage potential to arrows fired from
it. If magic arrows are used, the bonus is the total of the bow's and the
arrows'. The type of bow found should be based on the circumstances of
your campaign, i.e. composite, short, long, etc. according to the nature of
the area.

FRUA works this way as well. The easiest way to tell is to check thac0/damage with no weapon, then with a +n bow equipped, then with the +n bow and +n arrows equipped.

The plus of the projectile determines whether a moster hit only by magical weapons is affected. (A +3 bow with +0 arrows won't do it.)

A "Fine" bow adds thac0 and damage bonuses based upon strengh, which might be difficult to differentiate from a "non-Fine" bow with damage determined by the arrow.

When I say it isn't currently working, I'm referring to the beta testing version. I saw it was reported as fixed in patch 3, but I thought it had been reinstated. I know magical and strength bonuses with weapons still haven't worked for me yet. (Barehanded strength bonuses work great, though.)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »
Thanks, Tom. I'll add this to the list and take a look at it hopefully soon. :)

anything