Author Topic: scribing scrolls  (Read 1827 times)

Offline KTG

scribing scrolls
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
Here's a strange one.  I'm about half way through GameR5 Eldritch Adventures and suddenly a save game is completely bad - I can't even load it.  I load another save game and after much trial and error realize that character's inventory are getting messed up whenever I scribe the last spell on a scroll.  The scroll should be gone, but some garbage is there, and it messes up other characters too.  It becomes unplayable.
I know there's item hacks in this module, but nothing else has been a problem - I've been equipping/using Full Plate and all kinds of hacked items just fine.
Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?  I'd hate to have to drop scrolls once there's only one spell on them.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: scribing scrolls
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »
This probably won't be much help, but I have actually had this happen to me once.  It was a long time ago, and I remember having the same symptoms and everything.  Again, not much help, since I don't remember what I did (likely reloaded from a save game and continued on without doing that again).
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
I experienced a messed up inventory in one Realm game, too, although I couldn't say anymore if it was that very same design that corrupted my savegames or if the characters were already corrupted when I imported them. I think I never found out what caused it, I just resorted to an earlier version of my characters and never had any issues again playing through the other Realm adventures. Then again, I often forget about scribing spells so maybe that was what saved me... Not much help there, I fear.  :(

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
I've heard of problems involving scribing from Rings of Spell Storing in the Realm Hack, but this is the first I've heard of it occurring when scribing from a scroll.

I've read that scrolls actually use the number in the item name (i.e. Scroll of 3 spells) to track when the item should disappear, so if the number in the title doesn't match the number of spells, it might cause this problem.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline KTG

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I can reproduce the issue on different scrolls.  They each read MAGE SCROLL 1 SPELL

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »
Okay. That's odd, but you're right. On my system it only causes problems about half the time.

Sometimes it crashes the program. If it's the last guy on the roster, he gets a (continuously) readied "255," and if you cast Remove Curse on him the program crashes. If it's the next to last, he goes to AC 60, and the sixth disappears. Sometimes I get a Disk Read Error - Insert Disk 3.

I've seen this before. Kudo's on isolating the cause!  :D :D :D

I guess the next thing is to figure out how to fix it...

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
This was discussed in one of the older UANLs. Apparently viewing your character's inventory after scribing the last scroll spell fixes the problem. Otherwise the computer doesn't properly remove the item and eventually causes FRUA to crash.

Since it seems to keep coming up, once the fix has been verified, maybe put it in the FAQ...?

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:43:57 AM »
It is happening every time now (or perhaps I was just looking for the "missing guy" earlier).

I've tried shifting the single spell to the middle or bottom slot, but I still got the "255" welded to the weapon hand.

Then I edited 1 spell scrolls into a non-hacked Tutorial.dsn, and got the same results.

Next I changed the name to Mage Scroll 2 Spells. You could scribe the one spell, and the name dropped from 2 to 1. It could be readied, though attempts to use it did nothing, but it could still be sold for half the original purchase price.

Now thinking it might have something to do with scribing the last spell, I tried it with appropriately named scrolls of 1, 2, & 3 spells. "255" welded to the weapon hand every time.

I wondered if the default mage scrolls suffered the same defect. I tested. They do.

Having confirmed it to be a "last spell" issue, I word-searched "last spell" in the FRUA_Dev archive and discovered where Merric Blackman had reported the problem in August 10, 2000.

Quote from: Merric Blackman
I've got this sneaking suspicion that when you Scribe Spells, if you
take the last spell off the scroll, it doesn't update the # items
variable properly... thus causing great problems when you read the file
back in. But that will await proper testing of files, which probably
Kaviyd and Dan will be more than happy to do... once I upload those
wonky files. I've got "pre-" and "after-" files, for this bug, guys! I
was going to upload them today, but forgot to bring the disk in.
Tomorrow, then!

I'd just read his fix posted four days later when I refreshed my screen and saw the same answer in Null Null's reply.

Well, it kept me occupied for a while.  ;)

(...more searching...)

I just finished searching the "Big Bug List(s)" and didn't see anything about it. I know Ben S. has asked, but is there an updated listing? I think I've seen one, but I can't find it now.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:47:14 AM »
Ah, so this isn't related to the Realm's item hacks but a general bug in UA? Interesting.  :o

Offline KTG

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 12:46:28 PM »
Wow, a standard FRUA bug.  Who knew.  I did view inventory after scribing, but maybe it wasn't immediately after scribing.  Maybe I saved it first.
Kind of a nasty bug for people like me who like to have mages walking around with every spell in their spell book.  Then again in standard FRUA about all you ever get is Hold Monster, Fire Touch, and Ironskin, so I didn't have that problem.  :D

Offline BryanMaloney

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
In a word: Damn.

This bug totally screwed up the party I have been playing in the Realms, starting from T1-4 and getting into the "final diamond", now I can't load a thing at that point, have to go way back.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
Does this happen if there are two or more scrolls in the inventory, or just one? If just one, buy another scroll.  ;D

I generally have spells on my scrolls that are already in my spell book, so I've never had this bug. You could add one of these spells to the scroll so it wouldn't be scribed. Then you could dump the scroll afterward.  ???

anything