Author Topic: STICKY: Collected Knowledge on Wallsets and Backdrops (incl. TLB collection)  (Read 18362 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: STICKY: Collected Knowledge on Wallsets and Backdrops (incl. TLB collection)
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:33 AM »
Ah yes, specifics are often helpful.

The ships rail on the set in this thread (on the left) doesn't block the deck portion of the backdrop as the set from the module does. That's all I found, anyway.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: STICKY: Collected Knowledge on Wallsets and Backdrops (incl. TLB collection)
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
The ships rail on the set in this thread (on the left) doesn't block the deck portion of the backdrop as the set from the module does. That's all I found, anyway.

Hm, I loaded RA2 and didn't notice any differences to the TLB included in this collection. RA2 has that railing with floor parts behind it, too. The wall in the screenshot on the right is probably Wall 2 from At Sea 1 (not Wall 3 from At Sea 2).

In case I don't get it, sorry for being so slow...  ???

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
There are some interesting walls to be foud in Brian O'Donnell's "A Story about a Couple of Towns" (astoryab.zip).

In the first town there are grass walls that give a nice impression of a lawn.  I don't think they are already part of the collection.

Also there are extra-high brick walls and probably some other nice pieces.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
The following sets from Brian O'Donnell's A Story about a Couple of Towns were added to the collection:

- Wood Hatch (Buildings & Interiors)
- Brick Tower (Buildings & Interiors, Towers section)
- Town Park (Wilderness, not quite fitting the category but still better than to put it under buildings, I thought)

Thanks for the tip, Ben J!  :)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Cool, thanks Olivier! :)

I'm not convinced about the trees in the town park set, but the patches of grass work nicely. :)

About the ice backdrops: I think what's still missing from the collection are two backdrops called "ice patches" and "snow caves" from "AT2: Dark Wizardry", and I'm not sure if the "rain" backdrop from the same design is already included (I can't find it, but I thought I had seen it).
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
I'm not convinced about the trees in the town park set, but the patches of grass work nicely. :)

The trees could be a good starting point for a pixel artist who's willing to give them a makeover, don't you think? Or one could also enhance the town park set with new trees and flowers. Any volunteers? I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. 
:)

About the ice backdrops: I think what's still missing from the collection are two backdrops called "ice patches" and "snow caves" from "AT2: Dark Wizardry", and I'm not sure if the "rain" backdrop from the same design is already included (I can't find it, but I thought I had seen it).

Yes, to limit the workload I didn't concentrate on backdrops so much as on walls yet. I usually only included them in combination with fitting wallsets. But it's also true I didn't make the Adobe-recolor ice walls from AT2 part of the collection so far. I'll look into it.

EDIT:

- Grass, Rainy backdrop was added to the Two Trees row (Wilderness) NOTE TO SELF: Add Rainy, Mud & Rainy, Stone!
- Snow Walls & Snow Caves backdrop were added to Cave & Coral NOTE TO SELF: Add Ice Patches backdrop!

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Added Gemma Tiley's Space Ship Walls to the "Modern" section. Thanks to GoldBoxFan for discovering them!

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: STICKY: Collected Knowledge on Wallsets (incl. easy-to-use TLB collection)
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »

8x8d-GreyCaveWithWaterfall-byDariusWhiteheart.TLB (color-cycling) / Back10-GreyCave-byDariusWhiteheart.TLB

This is an awesome Wall Set, but needs a word of caution. The Drop-In TLB file is 44K and can overwrite some of the Events in your module. Most wall sets max out at around 37K.

I found that it works best if only 2 wall sets are used and slot #3 is set to "No Art". Don't try to use 3 different wall sets on a single level if you use this as one of the 3.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
also the darius at sea 2 on this sticky doesn't work properly. I checked it many times, and then used the one from his mod Ship of horror and it works from there. BTW the at sea 2 in his mod is marble 3.. and it works.

Can anyone confirm this and/or tell me what exactly is wrong with the At Sea 2 TLB here, please? I wasn't able to reproduce the error myself yet, probably because I don't know what I should look for.
I have seen weird results from backdrops and wallsets when you use drop-ins and have the combined backdrop or wallset TLBs as well. If both have new art in the same slot they overwrite it can produce odd images. I'm generally lazy and take other peoples TBLs so that I don't have to spend an hour looking for what I want.

I don't know if that has anything to do with this case. My version of RA2 doesn't have both types of hacks.

Offline wariodude128

• Dreamer of creating a gigantic module.
  • I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
I went through all of the walls and found 4 things missing.

1: Wireframe wall sets. Either from the early Wizardry games or the first 2 Ultima games.

2: Wall sets from either Elder Scrolls Arena or Daggerfall. Both are now abandonware, so it shouldn't be much a problem.

3: Wall sets from either Ultima Underworld game.

4: Wall sets from Mars Saga/Mines of Titan.

That should do it. Hope to see some or all of these added sometime soon. Don't know if Wasteland was in there.

Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you do smart things.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
I am trying to get a wall to use color-cycling for the blue in the second wall slot (I want it to color-cycle through all the blues, with delay=65). I am not sure how to do this, but I think I should be able to do it using Toolbox. I have tried importing the TLB in Toolbox, but it seems to want to import each wall slot individually rather than the whole TLB together, and the palette shown in Toolbox is completely full and I don't know how to set up the color-cycling.

I have attached the PNG and TLB. Can anyone assist with this please?

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Is anyone able to help me with getting colour-cycling to work for drop-in tlbs created using NAFN?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
To use Toolbox, I think that you will have to copy and paste the sprites into the 2 templates used by Toolbox for Wall sets:
DRW-WAL1 (for slots 1 and 2)
DRW-WAL2 (for the overlay slots 3, 4, and 5)

When you import a wall set in Toolbox, you click on the button "Color 1" and then select color 63 from the palette, click on "Color 2" and then select color 66, click on "Delay" and click on a number like 4.

In Toolbox, you will have to import the 5 images into all three positions for each Wall Set.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Thanks Nol. For some reason I just cannot get colour-cycling to work with walls, whether importing from a pcx or a tlb. It imports the walls fine, even directly from the tlb (and I can select the colour-cycling settings in toolbox itself), the walls just don't colour cycle in the game.

I do have colour cycling working with other kinds of art imported through toolbox, such as title screens.

Oh well, it is not the end of the world if the ocean doesn't roll.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Does it matter whether you import the images into a slot that has color-cycling by default or not?

anything