Author Topic: SHUA  (Read 28418 times)

Offline hans

Re: SHUA
« Reply #285 on: May 04, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
"Extraman, Hurk, Nefastor and Steelman were once the protectors of their city. Now in their 60's they still hold a grudge with their nemesis and hope their children will help them with their last battle."

If you can endure some foul language, you might find this CG animated French superhero short somewhat amusing... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2BXoOL2hZk

Offline hans

« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 is a much better movie than the first.  --And I really liked the first one. 

Vol 2 is just as much fun, but this time I not only laughed but I also cried.  It is a significantly fuller, richer example of cinematic art.  It is both darker and lighter (baby Groot) than the original.  All of the actors really bring it, even in bit parts & cameos (Stan Lee & Howard the Duck excluded).

Offline hans

« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »
After what really was their best season yet, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ended it a little shakily.  In its two final episodes, formerly very smart characters lost some I.Q. points, a "c'mon-where-did-they-get-that" plot contrivance popped up out of nowhere, and a gigantic loose end was completely ignored.  An only hour-long finale, unlike the big two-hour episodes fans had grown accustomed to, may also have led to a rushed-feel.  Rather disappointing... 

Offline hans

« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »
Spider-Man: Homecoming is excellent. 
It's fun.  Very, very fun. 
It has one of the best villains of the Marvel cinematic universe. 
It doesn't cheat by changing its established rules for the climax.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »
It also had the Tinkerer, Shocker, Scorpion, and Prowler in it for those who know the names of those villains. Might have been more I missed.

Had a convo with one dude about how Ned was a blatant rip-off of Ganke from Ultimate Spider-Man. I agree, and said he still might be Ganke. We never hear Neds surname, and it may be Ganke. (Though Ganke from Ultimate Spider-Man is his first name; Ganke Lee.) Plus, Donald Glover plays Aaron Davis (the petty crook he saves), who is Miles Morales' uncle in the Ultimate universe (which the MCU is strongly based off).

The upcoming animated Spider-Man movie will feature Miles Morales' Spider-Man, but I do not believe it is attached the MCU in any way.

Offline hans

« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »
Thankfully, they didn't go for "the god-like villain" that so many other superhero movies have (ultimately leading to an overinflated, yet deflating, climax).  Instead, the main super-villain here, the Vulture, has to work hard, displaying courage as well as ingenuity.  Add a relatable motivation, and you have a villain you can almost admire and root for. 

The movie did boffo business at the box office over the weekend.  Many believe that having Iron Man/Tony Stark featured prominently in the trailers helped average moviegoers understand that this wasn't going to be just another (Sony) Spider-Man movie. 

Conversely, the Black Panther trailer previewed with Spider-Man: Homecoming featured no other Marvel superheroes.  Makes it kinda come off like a small movie, despite some nice sfx, after having established the character in a very broad universe in Captain America: Civil WarSpider-Man: Homecoming took great advantage of that springboard, but it seems Black Panther will maybe not so much.  No real plot or emotional jeopardy revealed, either.  Makes me start to worry.  I hadn't read much about it, so this was my first exposure.